Saturday, February 2, 2019

Yellow Scraps

Yellow Cats

Yellow is the February Rainbow Scrap Challenge color of the month. 
 I sort most of my scraps by size and not by color.  That's what works for me.  This week I dug into the 3.5 inch scrap bin and pulled out some yellow scraps to make some cats.  I want to make at least four cats per month and so if I don't have enough 3.5 inch scraps (as so happened with red) then I cut a 3.5 inch pieces off of a chunk scrap.   I've been using gray or black/white scraps for the background. 
 The next thing I do with 3.5 inch scraps is cut sixteen 3.5 inch squares to make sixteen patches with stars. 
 Then I pair up the yellows with another color of my choosing to make HSTs and then make Broken Dishes blocks. 

I was kind of surprised I had so many yellow scraps in the 3.5 inch bin. I usually don't have many yellow scraps in any size.  
 Since I still had yellow scraps left in the bin I decided to cut 1.5 x 3.5 pieces for my little rail fence blocks.   Those pieces were made into the Rails on the left. Since I usually cut Rails from 1.5 inch scraps I decided to also  go get yellow scraps from the 1.5 inch scrap bin and cut and make Rails which are on the right.   This is the third year of making little Rails from scraps so maybe at the end of this year I'll have enough for a big and very scrappy quilt.  
Then while I was in the 1.5 inch scrap bin I cut my Bit Coin pieces (1.5 x 2.5) for the block on the left.  I usually don't like to repeat fabrics in a block but I didn't have much to choose from in the 1.5 inch scrap bin. After I use scraps from the 1.5 inch bin in my RSC projects they go into the Spider Web project box.   I'm aiming for a big quilt and this is my third year of making them so I'm not going to be picky about repeats anymore.  Then I decided to look into the 2.5 inch scrap bin.  I should have looked there before I made the block on the left because as you can see from the block made on the right I had lots of different yellow 2.5 x 1.5 scraps. 

Anything left in the 3.5 inch bin that was less than a square went into a strip instead of into the crumb bin.   I've been doing this for a couple of years too so I probably have enough for a Chinese Coin rainbow or a rainbow border. 

Earlier this week I started making Church Window Hexagon Variation blocks from 3.5 inch scraps and made my red and yellow blocks. 

So that completes my yellow blocks from the 3.5 inch scrap bin and the 1.5 inch scrap bin.  That leaves me with the yellow scraps in the 2 inch and 4.5 inch scrap bins to use the rest of the month. 

18 comments:

Julie in GA said...

It's amazing to me how much you get done in a week! I love all of your yellow projects and always have a great time checking out your assortment of fabrics.

Ellen said...

You do have such a wide variety and quantity of yellow scraps! I think I am going to barely scrape by with making only a couple of my broken dish blocks and zig zags this month.

grammajudyb said...

I'm with Julie in GA.. You are the best inspiration for what to do with scraps. Bit Coins were on my list this year to start, but with my sister's medical issue, my time went into a comfort quilt for her and it's also a top. I don't quilt my own, so I am waiting for my quilter friend to come back from Florida this week. I hope she can fit me into her schedule. Fingers crossed.

Scrapatches said...

Love these pretty kitties! ... <3 <3 <3 Pat

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The kitty blocks are so much fun! I also love the stars. I need to put them on list!

Katie Z. said...

I too sort my scraps by size, not color. I use to keep the scraps in color order, but it was such a pain to hunt for the sizes I need. I’m much happier with my size bins!

Also, your bit coins are wonderful!

Cathy said...

The cats! The stars! The bitcoins! I’m such a squirrel. I see all the cute blocks and want to do them all. Congrats on completing so much this week!

Jennifer said...

you'll have lots of bits and pieces to choose from at the end of the year to make some great quilts!

Crystal_235 said...

Cute cats! I sort my fabric scraps by color and size.

Crystal_235 said...

Cute cats! I sort my fabric scraps by color and size.

Pamela Arbour said...

Oh my! That is a lot of yellow! Love it all.

gayle said...

Variety is your middle name - both in your scraps and your blocks! Or maybe Inspirational is your middle name. Or maybe both...

Mari said...

Those cats are so cute! Great progress on all those projects.

Jo said...

That's a good row of cats. You have a lot of yellow projects happening. That's lots of sewing.

Kaja said...

I have to admit to not sorting my scraps properly at all, though I don't seem to end up with that much these days. I tend to look at your projects and wish I had more though!

mangozz said...

You've accomplished so much already, and it's just the very beginning of the month! My scraps are not well organized at all, but then again, I don't have nearly as many as you do, or the space to organize them better.

Linda said...

An amazing total of yellow RSC blocks already. You must work at the speed of light!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

You have already made so much progress this month. All I have done is pull my yellow scrap bin. But I am poised to start sewing!