Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Selvage Stars

 Selvage Stars

I've added six more to the pile. 
These are twelve inch blocks and the stars are foundation pieced on to phone book pages. 


I decided to alternate blocks with red and yellow backgrounds after I saw a vintage string star quilt with a similar color scheme at Mingei International Museum.  
 I have to say I was really pretty stingy when I started cutting and saving selvages. But this pattern calls for 1 inch pieces of fabric so my selvages work pretty well.  I always think it's fun to see what shows up in an itty bitty piece of fabric.  
I spy sheep... 
 ...snowmen, butterflies, gumdrops, footprints, cat tails, "girls", chocolate chip cookies, (red strips that don't match up)...
 ...hugs and kisses...

 ...sewing machines, spider, duck...


7 comments:

Sally Trude said...

Ha! I'm going to take credit for sending you down the Mingei Rabbithole...too bad I can't take credit for your wonderful results.

Linda said...

They're lovely! The alternate red and yellow backgrounds work so well.

em's scrapbag said...

Your stars are wonderful! I love the idea of alternating the background.

Janie said...

Red and yellow background, beautiful idea for your strippy stars.
Mingei International Museum is amazing, great concept, to appreciate everyday craftsmanship.
Thanks for that link.

gayle said...

Love your selvage stars! (You're in grave danger now of buying a fabric just for the selvage, you know...)
Love the museum link, too - thanks!

---"Love" said...

That is going to be a very interesting quilt! ---"Love"

Ellen said...

Such fun blocks - I love them!