Thursday, February 14, 2019

Valentine's Day









 I finished a set of four reversible placemats and napkins. 
 It all started with a set of napkins stamped for embroidery I picked up from the thrift store.  The original price was $9.50 but I picked them up for $1.95.  I finished the embroidery on them around August 2014. 
I'm not usually a "neat back" sort of embroiderer; however, I tried to stay neat since these are napkins and according to the packaging are supposed to be used as is because they have a serged edge. I didn't like them like that so decided to make them reversible and threw them in a project box along with possible fabrics to use for the reverse side which were mostly white so they would not show through to the front. And there they sat in the project box. 

Around 2016 after I saw a mini quilt tutorial with hearts at Cluck Cluck Sew I decided to make placemats to go with the napkins. I made four of those and threw them into the project box with the napkins. I didn't really like how the unfinished placemats turned out because I decided there was too much white in them for me.  I threw them into the project box with the napkins. 

I've made it a Finish -Along goal to finish the placemats and napkins several times but just couldn't get motivated to complete them. 

But this year is my year of finishing lots of old things so finished they are.  The placemats are a large size at 14 x 20. They are reversible. The reverse fabric fabric for placemats and napkins came from the Valentine fabric box. I didn't use the whites I had set aside and they are back in the neutral basket now.  The binding came from the Christmas fabric box.  I used bits and pieces of batting inside.  The napkins finish at 11.5 inches. 

for


7 comments:

Lynette said...

Those turned out so pretty. Love that backing on the napkins, too. Great UFO finish!

Nann said...

What a lovely table setting you've created! Even neat-back embroidery can result in little thread tails and knots. Good idea to add a backing to your napkins.

Libby in TN said...

Very nice! Love the plaid binding.

Janie said...

Great finish and perfect for Valentines Day.
I like to have seasonal things to set out, my mom always did that and
I appreciated it.
Happy Valentines Day!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Very nice and a great finish too. Lots of hearts at your house. I admit that I have never seen embroidered napkins. I would be thinking "too pretty to use".
xx, Carol

gayle said...

I think they'd just been waiting for that perfect binding! Now you've got a pretty set, and can take a bow. And whoop hurray for done!

Ella said...

What a beautiful table those additions make! Congrats on the finishes. On behalf of the FAL crew, thanks for joining in!