Sunday, December 9, 2018

Edgy

 Selvage Star 
34 inches

This year I tried to get my crumb scraps under control and although I still have a ways to go I'm pleased with the progress. Next year I am going to concentrate on reducing selvages and strings.  This week I started on three different quilts that use selvages.  

This Selvage Star...
 ...will be combined with some nine inch black and red and selvage squares. 
 These are two selvage strips 30 x 10. I made the longest pieces first and now have to make some some selvage squares. 
 The selvage strips and squares will be combined with some black and pink fabrics for this quilt. 
The third selvage quilt requires pieces cut from seven different grays which I have done to be sure I had enough gray fabrics. Now I need to make some squares in a couple of different sizes which will later be made into HSTs. 

I probably have enough for a few more quilts after these three. We shall see how it goes. I used to only leave a little bit of fabric with the selvage edge so it takes a lot of sewing to get a good sized square.   For the last year or so I quit saving selvages. I cut as close as I can to the edge and then the selvage piece goes into the "garden path" box of scraps that I spread on the flower garden paths to keep weeds down.  If I cut a long selvage close to the end I now throw that into the "garden tie" bucket.  So after the boxes of saved selvages are gone I don't expect I'll make anymore selvage quilts. 

11 comments:

Julierose said...

that star is lovely--a lot of strip sewing went into that one...hugs, Julierose

Mystic Quilter said...

Heck, you have heaps of selvedge trips to work with! They make a stunning star.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I really like selvage quilts, but my scrap collection doesn't extend that far (to the edge of the fabric!) I'm looking forward to seeing just how many quilts you will get from your selvages. Happy piecing!

cspoonquilt said...

Wow, That's a lot of sewing! They do look great but I don't have the patience, more power to you!

Linda said...

I like your Selvage Star. A lot of sewing of Selvage strips, so not surprised you have now found other uses or those strips! I've never saved them and they are thrown straight into the waste bin. However, I think your idea of using them for garden ties is clever. Oh dear, not another box of scraps!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I have heaps of selvages too. But I am rethinking making a quilt from them. Maybe I will fall in love with one of your designs and start something :)

Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

scraphappy said...

Sounds like you found plenty of great uses for those selvages. Good luck using up the ones you already saved.

Ann said...

Congratulations to you. I tried a selvedge quilt once but fortunately came to my senses. Yours looks lovely, though. Enjoy!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Love that selvage star. I don't think I would EVER have that large of a selvage stash.
xx, Carol

Quilter Kathy said...

I save selvages but have only made one little thing so far.
I love your star!
Maybe I should make a goal to sew them up?

Louise said...

I'm curious how long it takes for selvages to completely break down into mulch in the garden. I've never felt the urge to save them, but I do like the way they look in scrappy quilts and blocks like yours.