Starry Path
12 inch blocks
Made with 30s reproductions and shirtings/plaids.
This month the theme in my sewing space is "reproductions". That means I'll work to move some UFOs forward that contain civil war repro fabrics or 30s repro fabrics or I might even work on my reproduction of a vintage quilt.
This block has both 30s reproduction fabrics in it and it is my version of a vintage quilt. Hopefully by month end I'll have a complete block set. I just made these two blocks to see if I could remember how to make them.
I first saw the vintage quilt above at Pinterest in 2023 in a search for "vintage quilt". That lead me to the website Heirloomed Collection where I could see more pictures of the quilt. I think the blocks in the vintage quilt are larger than the ones I made and I think I switched the positioning of the darks and lights in my blocks.
After I made a few blocks in October 2023 I asked blog readers if anyone knew the name of the block. Several folks knew the answer right away and told me the name of the block was Starry Path.
I now have a dozen blocks. I wrote down my goal as 35 for a 5 x 7 layout of 60 x 84. But now I'm thinking that the layout should have an even number of blocks across and down because of that secondary big pinwheel pattern formed with four blocks. So I'm trying to decide if I am still in love with this UFO and should make 24 blocks (4 x 6/48x72) OR make 48 blocks (6 x 8/72 x 96). I'm leaning toward 24 blocks. Then I am halfway to my goal!
And sew on...
Finished Or Not Finished Friday at Alycia Quilts
***
The Garden News.
I love Zinnias. I save my seed from year to year and add a couple of packets of new seeds to the mix each year too. In the spring I sprinkle seeds here there and everywhere so have several patches of them. Deer don't seem to bother them and butterflies love them. This year it seems like they aren't going to form many seed heads. I'm not sure of the reason for that. Usually by this time of year I have at least a brown lunch bag at least half full of seed heads. Right now I have nothing. I took these photos on Tuesday, Sep. 29 and as you can see they are still blooming and attracting some butterflies (or maybe those gray things are moths. I'm not sure but they sure are prolific this year. )

No comments:
Post a Comment