Friday, October 9, 2026

Alternate Blocks

Alternate 8 inch finished blocks for Civil War Sampler. 

I now have 31 of them and am ready to assemble the top; however, I may wait until later in the month to do so.


 In 2011 quilt historian Barbara Brackman released a free 8" block pattern each week to celebrate the sesquicentennial year on her blog Civil War Quilts. Also each week she told a true story about persons who lived during that time. It was so interesting.


I ended up making 32 of the 53 blocks and have just left them stored in a baggie since then. Now they have some friends to alternate with in a top and I have moved this old UFO forward!

Barbara Brackman's Civil War Quilts 



This month the theme in my sewing space is "reproductions". That means I'll work to move some UFOs forward that contain civil war repro fabrics or 30s repro fabrics or I might even work on my reproduction of a vintage quilt. 

And sew on...



***
Garden News

I'm still planting bulbs. 



I planted crocus along a few pathways in my Perky Goth/Moonlight (aka Kayla Memorial) Garden. 


50 Crocus Chrysanthus Panda
They are dark purple (almost black) and white.


25 Crocus Whale Shark
Also purple/white

Down around the bench and birdbath area 
10 Crocus Prince Claus
25 Allium Ostrowskianum




On the other side of the bench near the rose and clematis trellis I planted 
25 White Petticoat Narcissus
25 Allium Art 

That branch across the pathway is part of a tree that fell in this area in the spring. It is barely lodged in a branch of the upright tree. The fallen branch is directly over a rose bush, darn it. I was thinking I should wait until now and cut back the rose a bit and find something heavy to put over it. Then I can have my son help me remove the branch hoping for minimal damage. 

I also pulled the label for the petunias I started last year so I can start some of the same in the Spring - Petunia Tidal Wave Silver from Swallowtail Garden Seeds.  As seeds go they are rather expensive but they gave me the look I was after. This is a mound near one of the entrances to this garden area and I wanted it covered in black sweet potato vine and those petunias. Early on deer or rabbits or something ate everything I planted here down to nubs. After I sprayed with Bobbex a few times they kept away and some plants recovered. Since these are annuals I am going to try again next year to get the effect I wanted. 

I still have more bulbs to plant. Am going to move on to a little meadow area as well as the cottage garden; however, there is rain today so I think today's garden chore will be to ready the area in the house for the plants I need to bring inside for the winter. 
 

No comments: