Saturday, October 3, 2026

Dark Neutrals



HST Four Patch
8 inch finished

Dark (or light or both) neutrals is the October Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) color of the month. 

Whenever I receive scraps from others one of my sorts of scrap chunks (greater than 6.5 inch strip and less than a FQ) is solids and another sort is multicolor blacks. I have accumulated quite a few scraps since last year so it looks like after I finish my HST Four Patch blocks I have more than enough multicolor black for a couple more quilts. Maybe for one I will use black multicolor for Happy Block centers.  Time will tell.

New Start with browns
Overlapped Stars


Lynn generously shares her construction methods.

A few months ago I sorted boxes of charm squares/5 inch squares received from others over the years by color. I counted the squares in the brown pile and I have more than enough to make the Overlapped Stars. 

I have other dark neutral projects to work on the month but for now this is my focus. 

And sew on...


***
Health Updates

I mentioned a few blog posts ago that I visited the doc for pain that started in the neck and after a few weeks progressed to most of my body. High ESR results (inflammation marker) led to Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR) diagnosis, prednisone and physical therapy. Prednisone immediately relieved the pain; however, in the meantime other lab tests (positive ANA and high ANA Titer - more markers for inflammation) led to a referral to the rheumatologist for further testing. The rheumatologist appointments are 4-8 weeks out so not sure when I will be seen. In the meantime I will stay on prednisone and continue with PT. I'm just glad I don't have much pain at all anymore and can still take care of John, garden and quilt. I was at the point where I could hardly make it out of bed in the morning but now once again life is pretty wonderful.

As far as my husband John's health...he had appointments at Univ. of IA clinics on Wednesday (thank goodness I could drive an hour away and push him around in a wheelchair). He met with infectious disease doctor about the latest culture results that came back on the necrotic and infected jaw bone (effects of past radiation for cancer) he had removed in September. He has been on one antibiotic since April and that will end mid October. They added a different antibiotic after results came back on bone removed during surgery. Now the latest culture results reveal yeast infection (Candida) in the bone and so they have prescribed an antifungal for a year. Evidently it takes a long time to get rid of infections in bone. 

***
Garden Updates

I'm delighted that I still have some roses in bloom! It is about time to put them to bed for the winter. After a couple of days of heavy rain I hope it is dry enough to work outside for a bit today.







Oh gosh! I was really surprised to see a big bloom on a Dinner Plate Hibiscus I started from seed this year. I didn't think I would see blooms until next year!





4 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You have some fun brights on black prints, Cathy! I especially love the bird footprints and the dog pawprints. Glad you are feeling better, especially while the wait is long for the next appointments. Your blooms make me smile!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I'm glad you are getting some relief from the pain, PT helped me a lot. I think of roses as a summer flower but I know some people have posted photos of roses in the snow, That was a bonus to get the huge Hibiscus bloom.

sue s said...

I like the bright prints too. And I hope you can get the answers from your rheumatologist.
Fungal infections always take a long time to heal, bone or not. There can be side effects too you might want to check. I am not a doctor, but I spent my whole career in a hospital lab dealing with fungi and bacteria and the drugs that treat them. .

Astrid said...

Pretty blocks and fun prints, Cathy. Glad you are feeling better from the pain, but sorry you have to wait so long for your rheumatologist appointment. Feel better soon, both you and your DH. Pretty flowers.