Saturday, October 10, 2026

For The Children of Pine Ridge and Rosebud


I've boxed up 12 quilts to send to:


Several folks have asked me about donating to projects on the Pine Ridge and Rosebud reservations so this post has further information. 

I first came across the Sew For Kids blog when I was looking for places to donate children's quilts. This groups also has a Facebook group; however, I'm not on Facebook nor do I wish to be so I did not join the group.  According to the blog it appears there are many projects , not just quilts, that could keep your sewing machine busy.    The Head Start program was looking for quilts so I previously sent them 12. Evidently the goal is 300 quilts and last I heard they have about 155. 

 Sew For Kids is a program under the umbrella of Lakota Friends Circle, a 501(c)(3) organization based in Porcupine, South Dakota.  

There is a tab at the top of the Sew For Kids blog - "Groups We Work With".  

I clicked on For the Children of Pine Ridge and Rosebud link. It's a "crafting group on Ravelry with volunteers around the world."   Again, the group supports several programs with knit and crochet items as well as purchased items. One of their projects is also the Oglala Lakota Head Start/Early Head Start program. So children in the Head Start programs will receive a variety of different blankets and quilts - knit, crochet, fleece, flannel, quilts. 

Since I have   had a little stash of yarn I wanted to use up I joined the Ravelry group and have been having fun crocheting hats. I kind of got addicted and might have bought some more yarn. More on that project later. 

Early next year I will be sending larger quilts and some other items to the White Buffalo Calf Women's Society.   White Buffalo Calf Women’s Society, was founded in 1977 on Rosebud Reservation in South Dakota as a non-profit organization and in 1980 became the first women’s shelter on an Indian Reservation in the US. They provide services to victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, dating violence and stalking. They can provide safe shelter for up to 36 women and children, they also serve teens ages 11-21 and men who’ve been abused. Men are provided safe shelter at local hotels.  White Buffalo Calf is supported by both Sew For Kids and the Ravelry Group. 

White Buffalo Calf Women's Society
From the Ravelry Group "For The Children of Pine Ridge and Rosebud":

They provide 34 bed capacity shelter. Maximum 90 day stays.
Wheelchair accessible.
Residents have access to community kitchen, children’s playroom and secure outdoor playground with slides and basketball court.
Art therapy includes quilt making and beading.

They need EVERYTHING in all sizes. They requested that donations be in clear plastic bags with a list of items included, and age and gender recommendations.

Warm items: hats, mittens, scarves, blankets
Clothing: infant to adult socks and underwear (men, women and children, all sizes)
Containers: bags, backpacks
Bedding: sheets (full and twin size) pillows, blankets, stuffed animals
Home goods: towels, washcloths, shower supplies, detergent
Pantry: basics, spices, snacks, can goods, staples
Kitchen: dishcloth, towels, potholders, cutlery, dishes, pots/pans, utensils, cookbooks
Toys: indoor and outdoor, board games, puzzles, dolls, cuddle animals
Art therapy: quilting fabric and supplies. Beading supplies. Sewing machines, thread, basic sewing supplies
Baby supplies: diapers (all sizes) and wipes, bottles, baby soap and lotions
Children’s shoes ( all sizes)
Paper products: paper towels and toilet paper
Hygiene products (shampoo, conditioner, body wash, sanitary napkins, tampons)
When residents leave the shelter they are allowed to pick items to help them in their new home. Constant need for housewarming items. Donations are first given to the shelter residents. Any extras are given to those in need in their community.

White Buffalo Calf Women's Society info on the Sew For Kids blog.


One thing to note is that for most projects a box can be sent for only $20 if a label is purchased through My Hope, Inc. 


And sew on...

 

No comments: