Tuesday, September 19, 2023

It's A Top! Orphan Dilbert

Orphan Dilbert
40 x 60
It's a top!

I spaced out for a little while. 

ORPHANS is the theme in my sewing space this month to move things forward. 

Actually there's not really any orphan blocks in this quilt - more like spacey orphan bits and pieces. 
It started with a panel someone gave me last year (or was it the year before? Time flies when you are old). 

I have a few space themed fabric scraps left over from making quilts for my grandkids and their generation back when they were younger.  I added some aliens to the top and bottom of the panel and I was lucky enough to have just enough of two different pieces of that fabric to make the top 60 inches in length. 

I have a little pile of 6.5 inch novelty squares - most are from I Spy swaps long ago when the grandkids were younger. So I found a few spacey squares to use for Happy Block centers...

...and I had a few spacey scraps to use for the sides of some Happy Blocks...

...and for other Happy Block frames I used some scraps from the black scrap bag and when I ran out of black frames I tried some fireworks.   I think the center of that Happy Block on the bottom surrounded by fireworks may be a left over scrap from curtains I made for my youngest son's bedroom long long ago when he was a little boy. He's 39 now. Like I said...time flies when you are old. 

And sew on...

 

15 comments:

Helenchaffin said...

Oh my word !that is the cutest quilt!

Linda said...

So lovely. This will be a popular quilt with the lucky child who receives it as a gift.

Quiltdivajulie said...

WONDERFUL!

JCH said...

Very cool!!

Terri said...

Any astronaut-to-be would love it. Good planning, good eye.

Julierose said...

This quilt is just so adorable--it made me smile this morning;)))
Great work using those blocks...hugs, Julierose

Chantal said...

(somehow, my comment didn't post. Let's try this again.)
You did a fabulous job with this panel. Any young boy would be over the moon with this quilt. It's a winner! ;^)

Anonymous said...

What a fun quilt!!! You did a great job and some little person will be delighted to receive this. Thanks for sharing.

Patricia said...

this is so cool. and it used up bunches of oldies. good for you. it will make some child (or adult who thinks they are a child) very happy. thanks for sharing. patti in florid

Jenny said...

Wow, this one is fabulous! Imagine the look on a little boy's face when he receives his very own space quilt.

mangozz said...

This quilt is adorable! You were really creative with this one! I know for sure that somebody's going to love it!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

This quilt can not help but make one smile and what a warm memory that you used scraps from your son's childhood curtains.

Cindy B said...

Ok, this is just too dang cute!!!!!!

gayle said...

That's going to be a future astronaut's favorite quilt!

Julie in GA said...

So wonderful! I love all the different space themed fabrics and panel.