Wednesday, September 13, 2023

It's A Top! Orphan Alice

Orphan Alice
40 x 49 

September the theme in my sewing space is ORPHANS. I might have to continue that theme into October since I'm getting a late start on that theme this month and I do have lots of orphan blocks.  At the end of August I moved all my boxes of orphan blocks upstairs to the dining room table in order to be closer to ill hubby in his recliner.  I sort of sorted through everything and divided them into piles for different quilts.    One of the ladies in our Stashbusters Group who makes orphan block quilts names hers similar to how we name hurricanes so I thought it would be fun to do the same. 


One of the easiest ways I find to use orphan blocks is in row quilts. 

I don't see a single block in this quilt that was mine. They came from several different people if I remember correctly. 



And sew on...



 

9 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

I agree, the best way to make quilts with orphan blocks is in a row by row design. Alice is very colorful! Happy quilting!

JCH said...

Ooh I like the one. I made one sort of similar and called mine Chaos. It wasn't my usual but i really like it and so do my kids. Now i need to make another one.

gayle said...

Love it! Especially those I Spy windows and doors. Though I feel a bit like a Peeping Tom - or is that a Peeping Alice...?

Julierose said...

Orphan Alice is a great quilt--love all those different blocks--nice work getting them together cohesively...hugs, Julierose

Chantal said...

Orphan Alice is a fun quilt. So many prints to look at. I hope the original makers recognise their blocks. Great job! ;^)

Linda said...

Row quilts seem to be the Theme for the Day for me today. I’ve just watched today’s Conquering Mount Scrapmore with Brenda when she was doing just the same - making quilts from Orphan blocks, Row by Row. Now i gave another idea!! Yours is lovely.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Very creative solution to a tricky bunch of blocks! Super.

Quilting Babcia said...

I searched for Alice and there she was in the bottom row, along with her twin sister Agnes! I hope you have more of those Alice blocks so you can hide them in your next few orphan block quilts. So fun!

Mystic Quilter said...

Like the term Orphan blocks, and especially the fact that you give the quilts a name. This one is a little gem.