Monday, August 19, 2019

I Can't Take My Eyes Off Of That Log Cabin


Back in October of last year Sally who blogs at The Objects of Design posted a partial photo of a log cabin quilt made in 1890 that was displayed at the Pacific International Quilt Festival. My comment on that post was "I can't take my eyes off that log cabin."


Sally posted that the quilt was part of a collection held by the San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles. Recently I did a search at the Museum website to see if I could track down a larger picture of the log cabin quilt and further info on size.  My search revealed the size is 71 x 82 and it contains 72 blocks. 

 I finally decided it was time to take my eyes off of that log cabin long enough to make a few blocks. 

After studying photos I could see that there were two different block configurations of alternating colors. I'm not sure if that makes a difference to the overall pattern but I'm going to follow along with the picture and make both configurations - blocks one and two. From the size listed I figured I would make blocks that finish at nine inches so the center nine patch uses 1.5 inch pieces and the rest of the strips are cut at one inch.  I grabbed some scraps and I made 15 blocks.  

After I made these blocks I can clearly see I will have to replenish my red fabrics. I've done such a good job of using my red scraps that I don't have any but the tiniest of bits.  I do have a few red scraps in the bins of scrap sizes I save ( 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3.5 and 4.5) but none of those include one inch pieces and the pieces in this block are so long that it doesn't even make sense to cut one inch off of the end of those scrap pieces in the bins. I used the red scrap chunks in the making of these blocks.  I have no red solids except a piece reserved for sashing a UFO. And my shelf where the red fabrics are kept has only a few half yard pieces. After being on "no buy" for the better part of two years except for backings it must be time to shop!

10 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I can see why you couldn't take your eyes off that quilt - those 9 patch centers are what caught my attention! I also love all the red and white, and the bits of blue every now and then!

Linda said...

Such interesting blocks, a very different take on the usual Log Cabin. Great idea to try Cathy. No wonder you are out of red scraps!

Rosemary said...

Really interesting log cabin ... opens up a field of ideas. Love it and may just try doing something similar. Love yours!!

Kathy S. said...

I can't wait to see your version of it. You definitely justified that it's time to shop. I haven't shopped for a couple of years either. I just try to sew with the scraps I have.

SandyPA said...

The pattern on these blocks seem to bloom out from the 9-patch center. It's a great excuse to shop for more fabric, though. There are several reds for sale at Connecting Threads. Sandy at sewhigh.blogspot.com

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

That is one wonderful log cabin. Yours will be just as wonderful. Very tempting!

Nann said...

Watch your mailbox......

mangozz said...

Those are the cutest log cabin blocks! You must be so psyched to go shopping!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Good on you for your depletion of the reds -- and those log cabins are very tempting indeed. I think I would use them for something smaller than a full quilt (perhaps a wall quilt or even a table runner). I'm trying hard to work on what I have and not add more projects to the list!

gayle said...

And now I can't take my eyes off YOUR log cabins...
(looks like I'll be starting another log cabin quilt in the near future)