78 x 78
It's finally a flimsy!
Pattern is Now and Then from the book Material Obsession 2.
I had posted the other day that I thought that the cutting instructions for all the background pieces was incorrect. Normally that would not be a problem for me because I usually don't cut all pieces for a quilt at once but for this quilt I had to cut the pieces in order to applique the tulips.
All of the pieces and parts have been thrown in a box for quite a long time. I got them all out the other day and measured and remeasured, read and reread the instructions, measured and remeasured and read and reread the instructions because I couldn't believe that ALL the background cutting instructions were incorrect. But they were.
I wrote a note to Kathy Doughty:
> Name: Cathy > > Phone or mobile: > > Your message: Now and Then > Material Obsession 2 > > Has there been any errata issued for Now and Then from Material Obsession 2? I have found the pieces and parts do not fit together properly. I've read and re-read the instructions numerous times and remeasured all my pieces and parts because I was hesitant to write and ask about this but I really think there is a problem with the pattern. > > I'm trying to figure out what to do now that I've used most of my background fabric and have all applique finished so just was wondering if some corrections to this pattern had been issued. I searched online but didn't seem to find any. > > I just want to add that I have almost all of Kathy Doughty's books and have made several quilts with the patterns in the books and have never run into a problem until this quilt.
I received a prompt reply along with a correction sheet:
Hi Cathy, Weirdly, I was just thinking about this quilt and wondering if anyone ever made it. It is one of my favourites. There is a mistake in this book. I am attaching a correction sheet: I apologise for your frustrations in trying to get it together. We wrote this book early on and it is no longer in print. I hope the correction sheet helps you get it together. Best regards, Kathy
Ok...well... the correction sheet was not helpful at this point in the process but it did confirm my suspicions that all background pieces were cut incorrectly.
It was a dark and stormy day yesterday so I decided since I wouldn't have a day interrupted by gardening I would figure out what to do to move this quilt forward. Improvise. Make do. The first thing to do was some math to figure out what the measurement should be for each side of the triangles. Then it was a matter of adding some "coping strips" to the short sides of some. Thankfully I had just enough background fabric left to do that.
I suspect if the instructions had said to cut the squares for the 24 "Unit 1" parts from 2 inch pieces instead of 2.5 inch pieces the parts MIGHT have all fit together without further adjustments but I was not about to test that theory and make more of those units. Besides, I had used most of my 30s repro 2.5 inch scraps construction them and I used almost all of that red plaid too. Most of the tulips were made of 1.5 inch 30s repro scraps.
Speaking of that red plaid...I used some strips of that instead of the background fabric to make the side setting triangles the correct size.
I was saving that piece of red plaid for the binding so now I'll have to use something else when the time comes.
Now and Then