Saturday, August 24, 2019

What's in the Hoop? Sunflowers!

Sunflowers in the hoop. 

 I'm leaving tomorrow to meet up with five of my husband's siblings and spouses for a few days of camping. My house doesn't have air conditioning but our camper does so I thought this would be the perfect time to get something basted and in the hoop to take along. 

Last night I just had to give a stencil I won long ago a try in the center of the Sunflower. It fit perfectly (although I didn't center it perfectly) so I pounced it and started on the stitching.  We'll see how much I actually get done while I'm camping. There will be lots of games of Scrabble and Euchre and Hearts and Poker and singing and guitar playing around the campfire. Usually there are three generations at the camp outs but no one could get together until now this year and a lot of the grandkids are in school now. I'll miss all the kidoos and new babies I haven't yet seen. 

 The Sunflowers in the flower gardens were my inspiration. Lately I've seen a Goldfinch  perched on some old Sunflowers pecking away at the seeds. They should be full by now. They pecked away most of my Purple Coneflower seeds. You would think they would be grateful and pose and peck when I am out in the garden with a camera. But no!

Catch you later! 

11 comments:

---"Love" said...

Both sunflowers are beautiful! Have fun while camping, and be careful! ---"Love"

MissPat said...

This is going to be spectacular (and it was already fantastic before he quilting). Have fun camping, Hope the weather holds. It's quite cool here right now, but a warm up is due next week.
Pat

Connie said...

Oh my goodness! This is gorgeous and you are an amazing quilter. I only aspire to be half as good as you. That would make me happy :)

Linda said...

Enjoy your trip and all the fun with the family. Hope the hand quilting goes well, although it sounds as though you probably won’t have much time for stitching. I grew sunflowers this year, well over 12 foot! Had a great display. They’re such jolly looking flowers, aren’t they?

Louise said...

I miss seeing goldfinches. Such jaunty little birds! Have a great time on your campout. Last time I camped with that many generations, there was no room for me to sleep inside any of the campers and no one had a tent, so I slept in the back of the station wagon. Good times :)

Carol said...

Love your quilts. The sunflower looks like a fun project. I have to comment on you playing Euchre. I am from Indiana and have hardly ever met anyone other than Hoosiers who have ever even heard of the card game. Is it common around you?

Ann said...

I love the sunflower and your interpretation. Plus I'm quite envious of your pouncing results. It looks like you chalked it on. The few times I tried pouncing came out very faint.
I'm with you about RV camping now instead of tents. A mattress and many of the comforts of home. Have a great time with family. Perhaps you will share more memories without the young ones.

Lynette said...

Haha! Seriously! They could pay for their seed with a brief photo op. ;D That stencil looks fabulous in the sunflower on the quilt.

Marie said...

Love your Sunflowers, and isn't it great that your stencil works so well with them. I've got a Russian Sunflower on my TO DO list (actually, its been there a while now) - this makes me want to move it up the list a little bit :). Have fun camping!

Kaja said...

Have a great time camping (I too have reached a point where I like a few comforts even away from home) and I hope you manage to get a bit of quilting time in amongst all the other fun.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

My favorite flower and what a wonderful quilt, must be so much fun to be to the point that you can hand quilt it.