Thursday, August 15, 2019

All Creatures Great and Small

 All Creatures Great and Small
Most of the hexies have now been sewn together randomly by hand with ladder stitch.  I had a few left over that I guess I could place here and there on some edges. We'll see. 
I measured it the other day but now that I'm posting I don't really remember the measurements; however, I think it was close to 48 x 60. 

 This has been a nice summer project but now I'm so ready to be done with it. The basting stitches and papers need to be removed next.  I'm actually reusing papers from a hexie quilt I made long ago and they still aren't all that worn out. I used old yellowed printer paper that was for an old tractor feed printer. 

 I was trying to decide what to do with the edges. On the last hexie quilt I made partial hexie parts to fill in the edges. 
But for this one I''m thinking I'll applique the hexie edges to border strips. I just don't know what I'll use for those border strips. It might have to be a solid or tone on tone (TOT) because all of the wilder pieces of fabric I've tried so far for a border have given me a slight headache. And who needs that? 

For now it's on the back burner simmering while I work on some other nice summer hand work projects. 


11 comments:

Ann said...

Yes. It's been too hot to quilt but blocks work well. Appliqueing to a border sounds like a good plan. I've seen some other quilts with that finish and admired them very much.

Sue SA said...

Looks great, but I agree a solid or tone on tone will work best, as there is so much to look at on this cute quilt.

audrey said...

Sounds like a great plan. This one looks very whimsical and you! Great job.:)

Pamela Arbour said...

Another great quilt. A good size for a child to love for a long time and carry memories with them of the fun looking at everything on the quilt.

Janie said...

Great piecing Cathy. That is a scrappy happy 'I spy' type quilt that will be enjoyed lots.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

I think appliqueing to a solid border is a great idea. It's such a fun "I spy" style quilt.

Linda said...

You have got to this stage very quickly. No wonder you want to set it aside for a while. Looking great.

Louise said...

This quilt would look so great finished with the hexagons themselves as the edge. But when I think about binding all those bazillion corners, it gives ME a headache. Probably best to stick with a final rectangular shape :)

mangozz said...

Your hexie quilt is adorable - so many fussy cut hexies! This is a wonderful I-spy quilt. Someone is going to really love it. You might consider appliqueing those extra hexies to the backing.

---"Love" said...

This one must have taken lots of patience! Good job! I agree with a plain border. ---"Love"

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Great quilt. Love the hexies with the focal middles.
xx, Carol