Sunday, June 17, 2018

It's a Finish! Happy Christmas

Happy Christmas
(Christmas themed Happy Blocks)
58.5 x 65




Most of these blocks were from a long ago swap.  


These Happy Blocks have four inch centers and two inch sides. 

 I pieced together some batting and quilted it with red thread in vertical lines at irregular intervals. (Notice I didn't say straight lines.) I wanted to use green thread because the backing is green but didn't have any and I'm all about using what I have on hand if possible.  
The binding was a long ago thrift store purchase  of about two yards. It still had the .95 cent price tag on it. 
 Now I have three Christmas lap quilts.  And I have three grandchildren.  So when they set up their own households they can draw straws for a Christmas quilt of their choice.  Until then I'll put them out at Christmas time.  When the two older granddaughters were younger they would sleep on the floor on a pile of quilts of their choosing when they came to visit and stay overnight.  In December they always chose the two Christmas quilts to cover up with. 

And the reason I wanted to quilt with green thread was because this is the backing. I had to do some creative piecing to get what I had to fit.  I guess the red thread doesn't look too bad. It kind of blends in with the vertical lines of the fabric. The whole thing looks kind of like wrapping paper. 

This goes toward my own Holiday Cheer Challenge - an effort to use all my holiday fabrics and to finish up all those holiday themed UFOs. 


20 comments:

Barb Neiwert said...

I love that you used your swap blocks to make such a fun quilt! And one that will be used for years to come by your grandkids. Such fun to look at all the different focal prints and colors and designs!

Frog Quilter said...

Fun Christmas Quilt. So happy!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your Happy Blocks - there are so many fun themes you can make them for! The vertical line quilting is a great idea, too - I'll have to remember that.

Angie said...

Love it! Such a happy quilt - I'm sure it will be well-loved!

gayle said...

You just make the happiest happy quilts!!
(When you use up all your holiday fabric, does that mean you get to go out and start buying a fresh start's worth of new fabric? That would certainly be MY excuse!)

cityquilter grace said...

love it...so colorful and festive...great way to showcase all those christmas prints...

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

You are making some great progress in using up your holiday scraps. This one is very festive. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Holiday Cheer Challenge? LOVE it!! That 95-cent thrift store purchase was the PERFECT finish for this quilt.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Cute Christmas quilt, and I love the idea of gifts for kids visiting during holidays!

Linda said...

I thought you had been a little quiet during the middle part of the week and guessed there would be a Cathy's "Rabbit out of the hat " moment. And now we have it - a Christmas Quilt! It's lovely, very Cathy. All great: backing, quilting, using up a stash of Christmas Happy blocks. Your grandchildren are very lucky, to be able to use these Christmas Quilts now and know one is theirs in the distant future.

---"Love" said...

Your Christmas quilt is one of my favorites! The Wandering Geese and blue bow ties, previously posted, turned out great too! You're having more fun than I am! ---"Love"

Libby in TN said...

"Irregular intervals"! LOL

Ivani said...

Happy quilt for Christmas, Cathy!

MissPat said...

I love the "happy blocks" concept. I haven't done a Christmas quilt and certainly seem to have enough Christmas fabrics. That's why I can't figure out why I never seem to have the right Christmas green. Good job.
Pat

Pamela Arbour said...

I love it, including the binding!

Louise said...

It turned out great, Cathy! I like the red thread against the green backing. Just another Christmassy touch. If you had quilted perfectly straight lines, it would have looked wrong against the not-straight lines of the backing fabric's design. So thank goodness you didn't commit that faux pas! :)
louise dot hornor at gmail

audrey said...

Great use of these holiday fabrics! You did very well.:)

Emily said...

This looks great! I really like the back and I think the red thread among the white and green looks really good. Such a fun Christmas quilt!

Janie said...

Christmas quilts for your grandkids! Good idea.
And I love the picture of grandchildren sleeping on a pile of quilts at grandma's house.
Good use of contrast in your blocks too.

felicity said...

Scrappy quilts are the best! Thanks for linking up to the FAL, on behalf of the global hosts.