Thursday, June 21, 2018

Sew A Column; Weed a Row

 Nine Patch variation columns
 Potato Rows

Potatoes planted at each flag. I do organic gardening so I'm the weed control and pest patrol. I left the purslane to continue to grow.  It's a weed related to portulaca or moss rose but I throw it in salads sometimes. If you research it you will find the weed purslane is good for you.  
 Nine Patch variation columns
 A few of the many pepper rows - several different varieties of hot and sweet. 
 Nine Patch variation columns
 Some of the rows of onions and cabbages.  Some of those cabbages I will make into sauerkraut later in the year.  Last year's is almost gone. 
 Nine Patch variation columns
Some of the broccoli and bean rows with some of the pumpkin and squash vines along the fence. 


The nine patch variation columns are now complete. I just need to sew them together now. I had previously made 8 columns but just made 13 more the last several days in between weeing the veggie garden. But the weeding is never done. This was just part of the veggie garden. I haven't shown the tomatoes, asparagus, beets, cucumbers, cauliflower or sugar snap peas.  And I'll show scenes from the flower garden later.  


12 comments:

Marei said...

Our "garden" is undefinable right now due to the weeds! I literally have weeds over 18" tall out there. Thankfully we've had a lot of heavy rain in the past week so I am headed out there right now to pull some of those babies up...and when I say "pull" I mean dig out with the spading fork. Since we live over a mile high our season starts late and ends early. I need to make the most of the next 8-10 weeks.
Love your 9-patch rows. I want to do a quilt like that!!

gayle said...

I miss the big garden I used to grow every year. But for the last couple of years I've been gone just when I should be planting, so have't gotten anything done. Maybe next year. (But that's what I said last year...)
Loving those nine patch columns! I'm looking forward to seeing the quilt!

Janie said...

Your garden looks great. It's a battle with the weeds isn't it? You
are prevailing I see.
Nice work on your nine patches too.

Linda said...

Very impressed by the alternate weeding a row and sewing a row of blocks. Your veggie garden in most impressive and I love the 9 patch columns.

Quilting Babcia said...

Your garden is looking great! Hubby has planted and maintained ours because my back is still bad. He was going to make it a small garden this year but he's planted way more than usual! Hope he's around when canning season begins lol!

Elle said...

Fabulous gardens!!!! I'm so totally an organic gardener. A bit more work but oh so much more flavor and health :-)

Teresa said...

Very nice garden - and love the idea of making your own sauerkraut. My grandmother, from Slovenia, always did that but alas I have only had store bought version. Nine scrappy 9-patches are always fun :)

Angie said...

I've been thinking about starting a scrappy 9-patch project so thanks for the inspiration! Your garden looks wonderful; home-made sauerkraut sounds amazing!

Kathy S. said...

LOVE your orange flags in your garden. Monday my husband asked me what I did that day... (just in conversation, not sarcastically...) I told him I had finished planting the garden. He said, "Is that what all those orange marker-paint circles mean?" I had circled where I planted vining plants such as cukes, melons, squash... I marked rows with hammered-in stakes. Now I can run my Mantis hap hazzardly through all the weeds that pop up and go around all the orange circles. Happy gardening -- and stitching.

Louise said...

It's nice to go back and forth between two such different tasks. Better for the body, I think, to use different muscles! I do miss homegrown veggies. We know a few boaters who try to grow a few things in pots on deck, but salt water is everywhere and so hard on the poor plants...

nestki said...

I, too, keep the purslane. Yum!
Your blog is always so inspiring, thank you.

Kaja said...

I like the sew a row, weed a row idea - might have to try that. Your veg look great, even the purslane, which they sell in bags here!