Saturday, January 10, 2015

Rhapsody in Blue Scraps


I'm still working with those 2.5 inch medium blue (and then some) scraps. 

I made four Little Twinklers.   I started making these last year so have 62 of them now.   I'm going to make a twin sized quilt for my 5 year old grandson with these.   He loves to play in the 2.5 inch scraps and a lot of the longer pieces become Ninja headbands and sashes for a day.  Last week he had a sash with pumpkins and a colored pencil headband and looked quite stylish.   (And I think he was trying to secretly figure out how to tie me to the chair with scraps).  I cut a piece of that colored pencil fabric off for these blocks.  Hopefully he will always remember playing in the scraps and chatting with Gram when he looks at his quilt. 


I finished 3 more 8 inch Depression blocks.   I made some of these last year when I had left over HSTs from making my Little Monkey Wrench blocks but don't have enough for even a baby quilt at this point.  The Depression Block is one of my favorites and I've made all different sized blocks (8,12, 16) into quilts.  It's a great scrap buster. 

I also had HSTs left so made a 4 inch Broken Dish block.  I have a big pile of miscellaneous 4.5 inch blocks that may become a Kitchen Sink quilt some day or a bunch of donation quilts. 




Then I worked myself out of the 2.5 inch scraps and into the 4.5.    I started several projects late last year to carry into this year that will use 4.5 inch scraps - chevrons, HSTs, Depression, Dresden and now..Broken Wheels. 

Got Scraps?
Join the RSC Challenge and show us what you've done with them each ScrapHappy Saturday. 

16 comments:

Sally Trude said...

Wonderful! I actually laughed at loud...in reality, not a virtual LOL...when I saw your twinklers with the bug-eyed cat. I wish your grandson luck falling asleep with that!

Scrappy quilter said...

I love your use of blues. Your grandson is going to love it.

Nell's Quilts said...

What a wonderful collection of scraps in your little twinkle blocks. Your grandson will love looking at all the kitties and fish and other delightful items in all those fabrics. You have such a great number of projects to work on every month - no need to ever wonder what to work on next.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Great blocks and lot of variety to keep you ever stitching!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I love the story about your grandson and playing in the scraps!

Love the diversity in your blues . . . and the kitchen sink quilt idea is a grand one!

Julierose said...

Great blocks in blues! Loving that twinkling stars block a whole lot! Hugs, Julierose

Karen said...

Your Twinkler blocks have awesome I spy fabrics. I love the depression blocks. I will be considering make them.

Sheila said...

Love your blocks, especially your depression blocks.

Dasha said...

What a wonderful bunch of blocks you have there. I love every single one of them. LOL.

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

You are so prolific!

Laura said...

The depression blocks are awesome! You are going to have a lot of pretty quilts!

Maggie said...

Aw lovely memories made with your grandson. I love the depression blocks...if anyone mentions scraps I'm in! X

Vic in NH said...

What a cheery post with all your pretty blocks! I loved seeing your Friday post, too, with the Sunny Lanes block parts.

the girlfriend gap said...

Stopping to say hello to you Cathy. I have found a connection to you from the Block Lotto blog. It looks like a lot of fun to exchange blocks with others . And I love this months block.

I live in Oskaloosa, Iowa. It is so fun to connect with other quilters especially those who live in Iowa. Your scrap blocks are inspiring. I will be following along on Bloglovin' and look forward to seeing more of your creations. If you have a minute, I invite you to come and visit me at my blog....
http://thegirlfriendgap.blogspot.com

I am not speedy but I love to sew and share about my family on my blog.

Janita

scraphappy said...

So many fun fabrics in those little twinkler blocks. What fun! Lots of great projects to work on this year. Looks like you will never run out of projects.

Angie said...

You always have the most interesting fabrics! Looking at your RSC projects every week is almost like a trip to the fabric store!