Friday, July 31, 2026

A Top Full of Snowballs


It's a top!
Snowball Nine Patch
54 x 72



I actually started making blocks as a Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) project back in 2023.  It was one of my projects to use 3.5 inch width strips and squares. Since I've been working on emptying a box of those scraps I decided to finish up blocks for this quilt and assemble the top. 

I made a similar quilt back in 2018. After I had finished it my daughter came by, saw it, loved it, and asked if she could have it. So I gave it to her. I think she still loves on it and a few other quilts. 


I'm glad I found that old post about my 2018 quilt because whenever I get around to it I think I will quilt this one the same way. 


The box of 3.5 inch width strip pieces and squares in June 2026. 

Most of the contents were given to me over the year by other folks. When I receive scraps I take my little six inch ruler and measure the width of them and put them in a box of scraps with others of that width. I usually have several RSC projects going for each box. 

This is the fourth top made from scraps in that box of 3.5 inch width strips and squares. 

From the scraps in that box so far...


And sew on...


***
I don't know what the Monarch found interesting on the Moonflower leaf. 

It finally found the Milkweed. Maybe some eggs will be laid? I think peak egg laying season here in zone 5 is May-July. 

Milkweed grows wild here and this year there has been a lot of it. I leave it here and there as long as it is not going to compete with my roses. Milkweed has a nasty habit of falling over on top of things when there is a storm.   

***

Finished a book! Mandarin Road by Ann Bennett. I've read a couple of her WWII historical fiction books and enjoyed them so decided to try this Vietnam War historical fiction. Not only was it historical fiction - it was a bit of a mystery and love story too.  


5 comments:

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What a great top! That is one full box of 3.5 inch scraps! It looks like there is a great variety of colors and prints!

Julierose said...

Super Snowballs top Cathy:))) I can see why your daughter wanted it for sure;))) Lovely finish on this...hugs, Julierose

Sara said...

I've never seen the snowballs made into 9-patches like this, and I love that idea!! We had lots of milkweed growing around everywhere when I was growing up in Minnesota. I haven't seen it very often around here and of course that means we don't see many monarchs either.

Anonymous said...

This is terrific! No wonder your daughter loved the first one! NancyO.

Nann said...

Super snowballs! Will you quilt it the same way as the 2018 version? Monarchs are a wonder. P.S. How empty has that 3.5" bin gotten?