Saturday, October 12, 2024

It's A Finish!


It's a finish!
60 x 78
Sawtooth Stars 
with Square in Square centers. 

Back in 2021 I started making 3 inch Square in Square (SIS) blocks (aka Chips) from scraps as a Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) project.  All of the SIS were made with black and white corners. 

I usually make blocks from scraps until I have a big pile of them and then decide what to do with them. This is the third quilt (and the largest) made with those SIS blocks and I probably have enough for one more small one. In one quilt I alternated the SIS with squares. For another quilt I used the SIS blocks as the centers of Happy Blocks. 

For this quilt I used the SIS blocks as centers for Sawtooth Stars. I used tone on tone scraps for backgrounds and gave the stars black and white points. 

I quilted it on my sewing machine (Brother PQ1500SL) with vertical, horizontal and diagonal lines through the star points.  I used a variegated thread. 

The backing is a rainbow plaid and the binding is a soft batik that is mostly black and white but has a few other colors in it too. 

And sew on...


***
CELEBRATE! (My word of the year)

Oct. 9 - Scraps and some vintage state flower blocks received from Teresa.

Oct. 10 -- My brother Steve who lives in Bonita Bay, FL and his daughter who lives in Naples, FL are safe and suffered no damage from hurricane Milton. My brother lives only about 40 miles south of Ft. Meyers where they thought it might be hit hard so he went down south to stay with his daughter in Naples. They experienced the high winds and power outages and some flooding in the streets that quickly receded but they had no complaints. 

Oct. 11 - I was hungry for apple pie so made one. I have always made my pie crust with lard but it seems to be harder to find in the store these days. Supposedly lard makes for a flakier crust.  Instead of a top crust I like my apple pie with streusel (crumb) layer on top.  Pie is yummy; however, since hubby cannot eat any (he has G-tube) I have to eat the whole pie. And of course each piece has to be warm and be a la mode! 

 

7 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Another beautiful finish - and your apple pie sounds DELICIOUS!!

Nann said...

It's another beauty. I made SIS blocks for a quilt earlier this month and thought of your scrappy "chips" as I sewed. Too bad you have to eat the entire pie! LOL.

Beth said...

Absolutely beautiful quilt! Glad to hear your Florida family did not suffer much damage from the hurricane. Beth in AL

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

I'm always inspired by your ability to use one block in so many different ways! This star quilt is awesome. :)

Jenny said...

Beautiful quilt, once again. It's one thing to stitch some blocks, but quite another to make a top, layer, quilt and bind it. Well done.

Sue said...

I remember you making the chips & it's fun to see them turn into something else. Genius way to break down the scrap projects & come out with this lovely quilt.

Quilting Babcia said...

This is one of those quilts that you have to just stand back and say "WOW!" It's an amazing finish!