Friday, October 18, 2024

A Finish!

It's a finish!
60 x 80

This top has been around since 2020. That's the year I decided to try to empty the small bins of scraps I had sorted by scrap width.  For this one I used the longest pieces from the 2.5 and 4.5 inch width scraps and made 5 patches of 2.5 x 4.5 rectangles. 

I tried to keep the 3 pieces of the 5 patch the darker color butt that was not always the case. 

I was trying to empty scrap bins so it was "anything goes" and truly scrappy. 

I quilted it with vertical lines down each side of the seams. 



The backing was given to me - a vintage fabric - It's A Small World c. 1964 by Walt Disney. I had to look up "It's A Small World". It debuted for the first time at the 1964 World's Fair in New York and showcased Disney's new technology audio-animatronics. And coincidentally I attended that world's fair and is the only time I've been to New York or a World's Fair. This 12 year old girl did go on the "It's a Small World" ride that year. I also saw more fascinating audio-animatronics in action in the "Great Moment's With Lincoln" exhibit.   Just an FYI - the Ford Mustang, picture phone (video conferencing) and push button telephones also debuted that year at the World's Fair. 


"It's a small world after all"...

The binding is scrappy and came out of my leftover bindings box. 

And now it's ready for donation. 

And in 2021 I did manage to empty my 1.5, 2.5, 3.5 and 4.5 inch width scrap bins. I failed to empty my 2 inch width scrap bin and it is stilll full to this day.  After that I started making blocks to use each size of scraps with the intention of using scraps as they are made or received. And I started keeping scraps by color hoping the scraps in those scrap bags would only be scrap chunks (less than a FQ and bigger than 6 inch width). The intent then has been to empty those scrap bags - each month cutting off pieces of chunks in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) color of the month to make those same blocks I'm making to use each size of scrap.   So far my chunk scrap bags are still full thanks to scraps from friends.  

And sew on...


****
CELEBRATE! (my word of the year)

Oct. 16 - A big beautiful Hunter's Supermoon cast it's glow over the land and lots of stars were twinkling in the sky. 

Oct. 17 - Butterflies! Some are still around. I saw this Eastern Comma (I think) basking on a hydrangea leaf in the garden. 







 

2 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the scrappy quilt looks great - do we really ever use up all our scraps? doubtful :)

Nann said...

What a great memory that backing evoked! It's another lovely scrappy quilt. And, yes: stars in the night sky, and that moon!