Saturday, June 15, 2024

The Blues Chapter III

Posies
8 inch
Floral scraps

Blue is the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) color of the month. 

For these blocks I used small blue floral scrap chunks and floral neutral scraps. 


I didn't get around to getting all the Posies I cut out made this week so you might see a few more Posies next week. 

Cheerios
10 inch blocks



More with florals. I've been making these 8.5 inch finished Happy Blocks with 5 inch floral centers in the color of the month and framing them with floral scraps.  I have a bin of 5 inch squares and so each month I look through the squares for centers in the RSC color. 

Another set of 8.5 inch Happy Blocks. 
Someone gave me Happy Block frame pieces in rainbow colors. There weren't quite enough frames so I cut more from a few rainbow type fabrics I had.   The centers are 5 inch TOT (tone on tone) squares in the RSC color of the month. 


And finally...for this set of Happy Blocks...if I have any 2.5 inch width scraps long enough in the color of the month I cut those up to use as frames for some animal print squares. 

And sew on...


CELEBRATE! (my word of the year)

June 14 - I think mom raccoon and her babies have left the premises.  We have a breezeway that attaches to a garage and behind the garage is an attached area we use as a tool shed. So anyway...I thought I kept hearing noises when I went through the breezeway or garage that sounded like an animal moving around - a big animal not a mouse. Then after a few days I heard little chattering sounds. Pretty sure it was baby raccoons and it sounded like they were in the ceiling.  Ewwwww!!! I looked around the house and found a small hole in the roof where the roof of the house meets the roof of the tool shed. Ugh!!! So I did a little research and found Raccoon Eviction fluid. It's supposedly male raccoon urine and raccoon mamas don't want males around their babies. So anyway...I gathered up a few rocks and put them in old socks and rags and soaked those socks and rags in the eviction fluid and tossed them around where I thought raccoon mama had the babies. 72 hours later I have heard no noises of any kind and I've tried banging around to let mama and babies know I am looking for them so they would start making noises. So maybe the Raccoon Eviction fluid worked or maybe it was time for mama and babies to move on anyway. Now I need to get roof hole fixed before something else takes up residence. 

Also...entry door knob broke. It was fixed in the unlock position; however, we were locked in and locked out.  After I broke out through another door and went into hardware store to get new one hubby was able to help me install it. I am so thankful he was able to do that because a few months ago he could not get out of a chair by himself or breathe without oxygen. 
 

11 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

I love your posies quilt, so cute! I'm glad you were able to get rid of the raccoons so easily, they can be so destructive! That is awesome your husband was able to help with the doorknob installation. I'm sure that made him feel productive.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those posie blocks are so fun, and the Cheerios, too! Did you fussy cut a racoon for one of the centers to commemorate your raccoon adventure? I, too, hope they are gone! So glad hubby could help you with the door knob repair - there's always something, isn't there?

Elle said...

Your constant use of scrap is admirable!

YAY for racoon eviction.

Julierose said...

Those Posies are just so darling--love them in those blue prints...lovely work on these and all your blocks...hugs, Julierose

Jenny said...

Lots of pretty blues, the posies are so sweet. Invaded by raccoons, goodness me.im so pleased they have moved on.

Anonymous said...

Also thankful.
Laura H.

mangozz said...

Great idea using the eviction fluid on the raccoons. They can be very destructive and even vicious when threatened even though they are really cute to look at. Very funny story about the doorknob. It reminds me of the time recently when the shower knob came off in my hand and I had to figure out how to fix it so I could take a shower. It's always something isn't it?

Pamela Arbour said...

I've been enjoying your posies but they looked tedious, so I decided to print the pattern. I was surprised to see how easy it was. I don't particularly like sew and flip because of the waste, but I can see myself making a bunch of these (maybe next year). Those Cheerios are cute. Now the happy blocks really got my attention because of the effect of the fabrics. The darker centers looked to be a different size than the lighter centers. I kept looking at them and I know they are the same size because the seam lines matched up and because you said they were 5" LOL. It's funny how color can change things. I am so glad you got rid of those raccoons. What a nightmare that could have been. And to top off everything, that broken door knob turned out to be a blessing! So glad your hubby is gaining his strength to help.

Nann said...

Your fabric flower garden is flourishing! Raccoons are such pests--glad they left before they caused damage. Hooray for a door knob/lock that works again.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

The posey blocks are a study on how to combine pattern with pattern. Not easy, but you do it well.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Floral flower blocks? What fun, Cathy! Enjoy working through your BLUE scraps. I've been sewing some of mine, by my basket is still full!