Sunday, June 16, 2024

Suzy Ducken On The Courthouse Steps

It's a top!
I forget the measurements but it's baby quilt sized. 


It started with a cross stitch kit someone sent me of Suzy Ducken.  After I completed the cross stitch I asked on the Stashbusters list if anyone used cross stitch in quilts and received many replies from folks who have.   One idea was to use cross stitch as the center to a Courthouse Steps quilt. 

Well, orange and lime green figure predominately in the cross stitch and I sure do have a lot of scraps in those colors (Anvils, Bramble Blooms series) so I put those scraps to use and made Courthouse Steps. 

I'm not sure when I will finish the quilt but after I finished the cross stitch I found this cute duck fabric on clearance and bought a couple yards of it. I guess it was meant to be. 

And sew on...


****
CELEBRATE! (my word of the year)

June 15 - a new phone! My old phone was really old. It was the next step up from a flip phone. I remembered we replaced our flip phones with waterproof covers when we went on a trip with some siblings to Belize. I have not been able to update aps for quite awhile and then the battery started to bulge and phone started falling apart. I had to look up when we went to Belize and was surprised to find that was in June 2007. My phone old phone was that old!! I rarely use my phone and basically just carry it with me for emergencies.  So anyway...I finally have a new phone. It only took six hours and several Verizon support people to get the esim card activated so I could call and text. Thankfully hubby took over with the support people after I became totally frustrated with them. I wish people knew what they were doing and didn't just follow a script for support. Hopefully this phone will last 17 years like my old one. Or maybe a little longer...I'll only be 89 in 17 years. 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow some duck loving family is going to love that little quilt. I too am an old phone person, I get what ever phone is being replaced in the family. Current one has some eccentricities but can text and take pictures, so what else is there?

Ceci

Elle said...

The quilt is fantastic!!!!!

Congrats on 17y with one phone. I use mine alot so I'm on #3 in that time).

Happy Sunday stitching :-)

Chantal said...

Congratulations on the flimsy top and the new phone! My son still has my old Nokia phone. Gosh! These things were made to last back then. Anywho! I'm in love with this top. These are my favourite colours and the prints are just wild enough to go with the care-free attitude of Suzy Duckie in the centre. Absolutely perfect! Enjoy! ;^)

Pamela Arbour said...

You made really good use out of that cross stitch! I love it. We keep our phone a long time too, but I think you have got us beat on that! LOL

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Oh, that is cute! Definitely a good way to use a cross-stitched design. And the backing is perfect - good find! It's kind of exciting to get a new phone, but there's always a big learning curve to go along with it.

JanineMarie said...

Cute quilt, and that backing was meant to be. Congrats on holding onto your phone for 17 years. I wish everyone did. Everything is built for obsolescence now, and that really bothers me.

Jenny said...

That's so cute, although I must admit I've never heard of Susy Ducken.

Linda said...

Love the quilt! Congratulations to you and hubby for coping with the phone back up person. I hate these sort of conversations.

Nann said...

I think I sent that kit -- but I had no idea that it would become such a charming and lively quilt!

Nann said...

P.S. I got a new phone last week, too. (From an iPhone 7 to a 14.) It was remarkable to watch the Best Buy clerk click here and then click there and have the data transfer. I would not have attempted it myself.

MissPat said...

Egads! As if the deer damage and the trees falling on the tomatoes weren't enough, you had a raccoon invasion, a broken door knob, and a new phone. Thank goodness John is up to helping you out with the door repair and tech support. I think you deserve a break.
Pat

Laura said...

What a happy quilt this is! I've used cross stitch pieces in a few quilts with no problems. Wow! I'd say it was time for you to come up to the modern world with a new phone! Not that I am a modern girl, far from it, but an updated phone is a necessity! :)