Wednesday, March 8, 2023

A Vintage Inspired Top: Buckeye Beauty Variation?


It's a top!
Buckeye Beauty Variation
60 x 78


I started making these vintage inspired blocks back in September 2022 and by November 2022 I had a complete block set that I stowed away in my SAR (Some Assembly Required) bin. 

I'm not sure if there is an actual name for this block. It appears to me like a Buckeye Beauty block but instead of HSTs and Four Patches the blocks have HSTs and little Nine Patches. What's in a name? I just liked the vintage quilt and set about making my version. 

I combined '30s reproduction prints with thrift store shirt fabrics and other plaids. 

And now I need to find a backing and get it quilted! 

And sew on...

 

10 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Omigosh - this is just purely wonderful! No one does scrappy the way you do - I love it!

Chantal said...

I agree with Julie completely. Wow! What a quilt! My favourite block is almost in the middle. It has brown plaid (green?) with a yellow and orange daisy with a green heart. Just LOVE this one! I love the 9-Patch variant. I might have to copy this one, Cathy. ;^)

Astrid said...

Absolutely gorgeous Cathy! You are the queen of scraps!

Linda said...

What a lovely flimsy. It’s come together so well and so fast - you must be delighted. Great choice of fabrics and gentle colours.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I just love the color combinations and blocks. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts for sure. Great job!

Beth in NH said...

In reading your blog just now I realize I have a SAR collection with my many "need to be assembled" block piles. My hang up is the layering. Not a good space and all. Working on a huge quilt now for someone and am struggling as it is not really me. Would rather make those piles of blocks grow with scraps.

Quilter Kathy said...

What a fab scrap quilt! I don't think I've seen this block before... very cool!

JCH said...

I'd say the name Beauty is right on. It's very pretty. The blocks look complicated but actually not. Wish i had your variety of scraps and ambition.

Ivani said...

It's beautiful, Cathy.

Nann said...

When I read this post I retrieved B.Brackman's book and tried to find that variation. no luck, but I found lots of other interesting blocks!