Thursday, March 16, 2023

What's In The Bag?

 
What's in the bag?

Maybe 3 different donation quilts?

I recently received a gallon bag of 3 inch squares. It's not a size square I use that much because I usually cut any 3 inch leftovers into 1.5 inch pieces but I do have just a few 3 inch width scraps set aside that I have not cut up yet to combine with the contents of this bag.




I first pulled out all of the sets of two identical squares in red, green, yellow, purple, blue and orange. Then I paired them up with their complementary color and I've been making Four Patches as leaders and enders.   I also have several other things I am sewing together as leader/enders but so far I have quite a little pile of Four Patches. 

So quilt #1 from the bag is Complements -- a simple Four Patch and I'm aiming for an adult sized donation quilt. 

And sew on...





7 comments:

Linda said...

That’s a great bag of 3”squares you had given to you. I can imagine you sitting at your sewing machine busily turning them into 4 patches. Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt. I’m amazed at how many squares were squeezed into one bag!

Nann said...

I use 3" squares to make 2-1/2" HSTs. Every so often I pair up lights and darks, slice diagonally, and sew a bunch. And somewhat less than "every so often" I arrange the HSTs into a design and make blocks!

Chantal said...

Getting a bag of new-to-me fabric is always fun. My leaders-enders are different blocks or pieces that are just asking to be sewn together. I'm with Nann on the 3" squares but I like what you are going for here. Enjoy! ;^)

Linda Swanekamp said...

You are a wonder. You know just how to jump in and get things sewn.

Ann said...

Looks like you and Julie’s grandson got together. Good way to use these squares.

Beth H said...

That is a great start and now the blocks are 5-1/2. Do you have a collection of 5-1/2 blocks you could mingle in?

Mystic Quilter said...

Cathy, just the other day I came across a quilt (can't remember where) made with large squares but it was a one patch, however it looked very effective and had me thinking about using my larger squares. Your 4 patch is an excellent way to showcase the fabrics in larger squares.