Saturday, March 11, 2023

Using Green Scraps




Green is the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) color of the month. 

This week I turned a lot of 3 inch  Square in Square (or Little Chips) blocks  I made in the last couple of RSC years into larger blocks.  I think I made well over 300 blocks in all colors of the rainbow with black corners. I was going to use them all together in one quilt but they seemed to make a very dark quilt. So I decided I could make 3 quilts instead. 

#1 - I set aside 130 Chips and will turn half of them into six inch Stars and half into six inch Happy Blocks and alternate those blocks for an adult sized donation quilt. 

So this is the bag of Chips left that  I'll turn into Stars and Happy blocks for quilt #1. I'm using Chips and scraps in the RSC color of the month to upgrade those blocks. 

#2. I pulled out 70 of the more the kid-friendly-I - Spy sort of Chips for a smaller kiddo donation quit that will end up 42 x 60. I'm turning those into Happy Blocks that finish at 6 inches.  I wish my green scraps were a little brighter but...

...I have last month's pink ones to brighten things up and I think there will be some brighter blocks in the future too.  So, that's quilt #2 in the works. 

#3. I pulled out 95 blocks that were solid colors, strips, dots or other geometric shapes. I then looked through my 3.5 inch squares box for squares that were similar patterns to alternate with the Chips.  I thought this would make a nice smaller child or wheelchair quilt at 42 x 42.  

My squares aren't all that cheerful so I thought I would look through my scrap bags to see if there are any polka dot, stripe or plaid scraps I can cut for alternate squares to brighten things up a bit if this is going to be a child's quilt. 


Then I'm left with this little pile of Chips. I'm thinking I might use them as centers for Wonky Log Cabin blocks. Some bright strings around them might make them shine. 

Then some 3 inch Broken Dishes blocks got turned into a few 7.5 inch Squared Away blocks. 

Any odds and ends of 2 inch pieces left over after all that got turned into little 3 inch Bow Ties, a Chinese Coin strip...

...or squares - single, sets of 2 and sets of 4.   The sets of four go into the Monkey Wrench work box and the other two piles go into storage for use at some later date. 


 

9 comments:

Linda said...

Oh my goodness, what an amazing production line you had. So many ideas for quilts and so many chip blocks extended into other blocks. Love reading how you work through your stacks of blocks, turning them into even more interesting and useful ones.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your idea to use your chips blocks as the centers for other blocks! Those will make some fun quilts!

Cathy said...

What a great idea to use the chips blocks as centers for other blocks! When I made my chips blocks, I added a contrasting (white or black) strip to two sides to bring them up to 4”, but Ive still been sitting on them for two years, hating them! I think I’ll just add the colored solid alternate blocks and be done with them (and make two quilts in the process. More scraps used - double win!! As always, you’ve got great ideas! Thanks, Cathy!!

Quilter Kathy said...

Your parts department has a fantastically organized and very creative manager! LOL

grammajudyb said...

I’m overwhelmed too! Such creative sewing and then again! You never cease to amaze me!

Chantal said...

I love your idea of using chips for the center of the stars. They look great with the alternate blocks. Looking forward to seeing this one done. You always have great ideas. Thanks for the inspiration. ;^)

Pamela Arbour said...

I always enjoy seeing what you have made with your RSC colors. How many RSC projects are you working on at this time?

Helenchaffin said...

Lots of great ideas for turning your blocks into different blocks for new quilt ideas

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW many GREEN scraps, Cathy!! I'm sure there are more with those came from, aren't there?