Tuesday, March 21, 2023

A Finish! Buckeye Beauty Variation?


It's a finish!
I still haven't found the name for this block but I'm calling it 
Buckeye Beauty Variation
60 x 78

Yesterday afternoon the winds died down and the temperatures rose to 50+ so I enjoyed some time outside to take photos. 

The blocks are vintage inspired. I found pictures for them while doing a search for vintage quilts because I like to make my own version of vintage quilts. 

Last year I made a series of different block sets using 1930s reproduction fabrics combined with thrift store shirts and other plaids.  My grandmother made quilts out of old clothes like floral dresses and men's shirts so that is why it occurred to me to combine the the 1930s with plaids. 

I quilted it on my DSM with spirals in a natural color thread. 

I had just enough of a plaid fabric for the binding.

The snow has melted but  I can still see a few patches of wimpy looking blue crocus here and there in the lawn near the clothesline where evidently squirrels have planted them over the years. 

Here's what the back looks like. 

And sew on...

 

10 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

The quilt looks very comfortable and inviting. As a good quilt should. You did a masterful job getting all those disparate fabrics to work and give such a vintage presence.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like your combination of fabric. I can never find the right kind of used clothing to use in quilts. People either buy them fast or they stick with with pull over t-shirts here!

Linda said...

Great idea to combine clothing (florals and plaids)with the 1930s fabrics. Your Grandma would be pleased that you were continuing her tradition. Love the yellow plaid binding, a perfect choice to set off all those blocks.

Katy Sweigart said...

This is lovely! I have a small bundle of pastel plaids and I may combine them with 30s prints as well. It really works! I don’t comment often, but love following your blog. You are so productive! Love all the scrappy quilts.

Sally Langston Warren said...

Oh this is a beautiful quilt! I love your fabric combinations. Thank you for the inspiration to use one floral and one plaid together in a block.. I don’t know the name of the pattern either, but for some reason they look like razor blades to me! Lol. Definitely NOT a good name for the block! The backing fabric is especially pretty. You sure get a lot accomplished!

Astrid said...

Congrats on finishing this beauty! Love the combination of floral and plaids. Pretty backing too.

Allison said...

I really like the vintage feel you've created with your fabric choices. It is a beautiful quilt.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is a super cool quilt!!!! Love the blocks!

QuiltGranma said...

This may be a variation of Buck Eye Beauty, by Bonnie Hunter. You could check her blog post files in Quiltville.com.

Laura said...

I love your variation of a vintage quilt! You are so bold with your print and color combinations, Cathy! Fabulous! :)