Monday, January 9, 2023

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

I won 40 fat quarters! 


Our Stashbusters group  runs a yearly UFO challenge. To join send in 2 fat quarters (FQs) and $1 and declare the number of UFOs you have at the beginning of the year. Then all you have to do is finish at least one UFO per yearly quarter or pay a penalty of a FQ. Each UFO finished goes toward a quarterly drawing - the winner to receive FQs! In addition your name goes on a list at the beginning of the year and if you rise to #1 on the list you become UFO Queen (not really an honor) and have one week to complete a UFO or pay a penalty of, you guessed it - a FQ! Each time you complete a UFO your name goes to the bottom of the list so I strive to never be the UFO Queen and stay at the bottom of the list.  Well, anyway, it is all good fun. My name was drawn as the Stashbuster 2022 fourth quarter UFO Challenge Winner. 

If the UFO Challenge sounds like a lot of fun or you like some other fun tips on and games for busting stash or you are just plain nosey about the fun others have busting stash and like to look at pictures of quilts then maybe you would like to join the Stasbuster group. We'd love to have you! 

Something tells me I should make a purple/aqua/red quilt. 

The winnings arrived the same day my sister informed me my brother-in-law, Tom, a Viet Nam Veteran, passed away after a long battle with lung cancer possibly due to agent orange exposure. They live near so it has been heart breaking to see him slowly deteriorate but rally through several bouts of pneumonia, covid and sepsis but keep a smile on his face through it all.  He will be missed. 



 

10 comments:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Congrats on the great win!!
I am so sorry to hear of your Brother in law - hugs!

Linda said...

Well done on winning the FQs. I know you will enjoy putting them to good use. Very sorry to hear about your brother in law, another sad time for your family.

Quiltdivajulie said...

No hero should have to end up fighting for their life against cancer. Sending hugs to you and your family! (and congratulations on the fat quarters - lots of fun colors in the group)

Julierose said...

So sorry to hear of the loss for you...and your family..Sending good thoughts....
Congrats on winning all those fat quarters--I know you'll have a lot of fun making things with them... Hugs, Julierose

MissPat said...

My condolences on the loss of your brother-in-law. I'm glad you live close to your sister so you are there to give her support. I'm sure you'll have fun with those fat quarters.
Pat

Chantal said...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. My condolences, Cathy, and to the family. Remember that heroes don't die, they become legends. Consider yourself hugged. ;^)

Anonymous said...

Asking the Holy Spirit to comfort your sister, you, the rest of your family, and Tom’s friends. It sounds like Tom was a strong, and courageous man; determined to LIVE his life. (Similar to my husband’s journey) May Jesus bless you all with his comfort. — Laura Haynes

Astrid said...

So sorry to hear about your loss, my condolences to you and your family. Congrats on the FQ win! Lots of yummy FQ's! That sounds like a fun group to be part of.

mangozz said...

It's hard to imagine anyone finishing more UFOs than you! I bet you've already started cutting ✂️ into your winnings! Sorry to hear about your brother in law. At least he won't be suffering anymore. It's good that your sister lives close by.

Jeanne said...

My condolences to you and your family for the loss of your brother-in-law.