Tuesday, January 10, 2023

I Spy A Flimsy!

It's a flimsy!
I Spy Happy Blocks
42 x 60

A long time ago when the grandkids were younger I participated in a lot of I Spy themed swaps and I made a lot of I Spy type quilts. 

I've had about 30 swapped blocks for over 10 years. They have 4 inch centers and 1.75 inch solid or tone on tone (TOT) sides to finish at 6 inches.   I also have a little drawer of swapped 4 inch squares. What I did not have way back when was enough solids or TOTs to finish up enough blocks for a top. Whenever I have thought of it I've been throwing solids and TOT pieces into my Happy Block box and back in December I decided to cut parts for enough blocks for this quilt top. 

The grandkids used to like to make up stories. I would point to a square and one of them would start a story about that picture. Then I would point to a different square and the story would continue on with one of the other grandkids.  Those were the days! Sometimes their stories would get a little silly or spooky but they always brought giggles and had happy endings. 

And sew on...

 

12 comments:

Julierose said...

what wonderful memories using "I Spy" quilts!! Nice work on this hugs, Julierose

Chantal said...

I Spy quilts are so interesting. I love your take on this one. It gave me an idea of how to use my solid fabrics. (Thanks for the inspiration.) I love the rainbow setting too. Bravo! ;^)

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a marvelous quilt! I can totally see the story telling process with all those fun center blocks!

Elle said...

What wonderful childhood creativity you stimulated!!! I sure hope your kiddos remember those days.

I love it!!!!

Astrid said...

What a colorful, fun and happy quilt! Fun center blocks made for stories.

Linda said...

A lovely jolly and bright I Spy flimsy. I love these sorts of quilts and I enjoyed reading the memories sewing it brought up for you.

gayle said...

I love all those bright solids! What a beauty!
And what a wonderful way to spark young imaginations! I'll bet you were having as much fun as the littles!

mangozz said...

What a great kid's quilt! I hope this one is going to someone really special. I love the storytelling idea. That must have been fun for everyone including you.

MissPat said...

I always love these Happly Block quilts. I should make some more, not that I need to start a new project, but I certainly have lots of scraps to make them.
Pat

Beth H said...

How fun that you had the kids make up a story and change the direction of the story with a new kid! Keeps them on their toes and creative! I hope I can do that with my grandkids when I get some.

Julie in GA said...

Such a bright and cheery quilt--I love it! I also love the idea of your grandkids telling stories based on the quilt blocks.

Raewyn said...

I love your quilt and love the story behind it!