Thursday, August 11, 2022

It's A Finish!

It's a finish!
42 x 54

It all started with what I think is a panel that someone gave me quite awhile ago. I thought since there were circles in the center that I would make Snowballs to go around. I decided on six inch finished snowballs and looked around for red, yellow and blue pieces to use for the Snowballs. 

I did a little math to see what size coping strip to add to the panel for six inch snowballs around and then figured out how much fabric I needed and then I found a red dots on red fabric for the coping strip. 

I added another row of Snowballs to the top and bottom of the quilt to make it a little longer.  And then I quilted it all over with swirls in a red and yellow variegated thread. 

Someone gave me the ready made binding with red, white and yellow flowers and there was more than enough to go around. And, hey, after all these years I think I finally can add a pretty decent binding by machine. Most places I donate quilts request that the binding be sewn down by machine but I still sew binding down by hand on a lot of quilts that are gifted or that I keep since I prefer the look of binding sewn down by hand and actually enjoy doing the stitching. 

And this is the backing. I was kind of nervous when quilting because there was barely any width of backing fabric to spare. 

This will probably go to Quilts Beyond Borders when the box is full. 

And sew on...



 

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is one fun looking quilt. It should bring joy to all who see it. Thanks for sharing.

Julierose said...

Oh this couldn't be more adorable--love the snowball blocks surrounding that cute central block...nice work hugs, Julierose

cityquilter grace said...

so darn cute!

Quiltdivajulie said...

And what an AWESOME finish this is! Absolutely wonderful!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

sew cute!sew awesome! I love it!!

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh this is such a cute quilt! I love the happy colour here and the snowballs.

Linda said...

A really super quilt, such a great use of the hippo panel. Binding and backing perfect. Some little child will adore it - a lovely happy gift.

stitchinpenny said...

Great job pulling it all together.

Cats and Calico said...

Love your little hippo quilt. So sweet and bright.

grammajudyb said...

What a great quilt. Good job! You gotta love a hippo in a tub!

Jenny said...

Hello Hippo and friends! Such a happy looking quilt, I can imagine the gasps of delight when a liile one gets this to keep and cuddle.

MissPat said...

This will bring a lot of joy to a child. A happy hippo romping around in colorful snowballs.
Pat

gayle said...

Bubbles for the hippo's bubble bath!
I love when you bring on the cheerful!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

I love this one so much! It rings every bell. Some one is going to be very happy with it!