Saturday, August 13, 2022

A Few Orange Scraps

5 inch Economy Blocks
These are for the free pattern called Sun Print 2016 by Alison Glass.  I've been making them for a couple of years and now I think I am only about 9 blocks or so away from the goal of 140.   These are made with "flippy corners" so I've been cutting them off and making little QST blocks with them. 


These are a 3 inch (finished) version of Economy Blocks. The are made with 2.5 inch squares and two 2.5 inch white on black squares cut on the diagonal and then trimmed to size. I've also been making these for a couple of years. More than orange scraps sneaked into this bunch.

8 inch (finished) Windmill blocks. 

A few 3 inch (finished) Bow Tie blocks, a couple of QST four patch blocks that will alternate with some 6 inch Four Patches. And since I use the Companion Angle ruler to cut the QSTs I also cut a couple of HSTs off of the beginning and end of the 2 inch strip and turn those into little 3 inch (finished) Broken Dishes blocks. 

And sew on...

where the color of the month is orange. 

 

10 comments:

Julierose said...

Love that Sun Print by AG--very pretty blocks--and those tiny hourglass cutoffs are so neat!! Waste not--want not--right?
Hugs, julierose

Linda said...

And so every scrap is used!

cityquilter grace said...

a very pretty collection of orange!

sue s said...

I look forward to seeing the black/white quilts! Those windmills look really easy so they are a good RSC idea too.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

thanks for posting the free pattern, I really like the simplicity of this block and may make them for RSC2023.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Great blocks! I love how you use up the cut off triangles RIGHT AWAY. So organized!

Kathy S. said...

That's a great block for a scrap quilt. I printed that pattern a while ago. I haven't gotten the heart to start another project right now. I'll enjoy yours!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You have the best block ideas, Cathy! I really love the Economy blocks with their bright colors on black and white backgrounds. That's a pretty contrast!

maggie fellow said...

such a happy smattering of orange

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

sew many fun blocks! I look forward to all your posts!