Friday, January 7, 2022

Making Brownies: Brown Cows

Within the last few months I have found that a monthly theme has enabled me to move UFOs forward as well as bust stash and scraps.   Back in December I declared January's theme to be "Making Brownies"  - move forward brown UFOs and scraps. 

How about brown cows? I'm in the MOOd!

It looks like I started making some cows back in November 2017. I made five of them and then didn't make any more.  So I think I'll make a few more brown cows this month. I might even finish a top. Who knows? 

 If I remember correctly my goal was 15 cows set 3 x 5 and then a border.  The cows finish at 9.5 x 14.75 . I just added two cows to the herd and so now there are seven. Only 8 more to go!
 


I gave this poor cow cowpox so she is in quarantine right now. So much for herd immunity.


Here's four of the old cows who were getting lonesome all penned up in the UFO bin. Now I've put them out where the grass is always greener. 

And I guess there will be some type of sashing between cows.  I want to stay more realistic - I have not seen cows balancing on top of each other in the pastures around here although who knows what acrobatics they get up to in the barns. 


 

14 comments:

Linda said...

I love your cows, I think they are looking very pleased with life..... happy times in the barn perhaps?

grammajudyb said...

Oh my heavens! It’s going to be amazing!

Dirt Road Quilter said...

I was just contemplating what project I wanted to start in the new year and now I know! Those cows are adorable and as a ranch wife, I can't imagine anything more perfect than a cow quilt! Thank you for sharing your cute blocks.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Green sashing for the cows will give them more grass to eat.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

ohhhh I love Brown cows!!! they are so adorable!!
( and I bet they are easier to clean up after than big brown cows!!)

Julierose said...

WOW I am totally "cowed" by your lovely herd--very moo-ving!! hahaha (groan)
An awful lot of pieces in one cow--love the polka dotted one...really timely!!
She must have contracted "Cow-vid" (oh please make me stop!!)--
Thanks for sharing your latest brown (How now brown cow) blocks
Hugs from a smiling, Julierose

JOY @ http://joysjotsshots.blogspot.com/ said...

Funny! Your cows are cute. Thanks for leading us to the tutorial. My grandson is only a sophomore in high school and already raising cattle. So I look for anything cow related.

Unknown said...

Awwww, your cows are adorable! I figured Objects of Design had inspired you. These cows are probably having fun without Buddy and Molly scaring them away.
Sandy at sewhigh.blogspot.com

gayle said...

Moo!
(I've made a bunch of Sally's sheep and a HUGE bunch of Sally's piglets. I think I need to make some cows now...) (Though I might do rainbow cows rather than chocolate cows)

sewyouquilt2 said...

Cute cows. Your quilt inspiration is quite mooving

Emily said...

These cows are so cute! Even that poor cow with cowpox :) Such a fun idea!

Brenda said...

Thank you for the morning chuckle. I love the cows and humor!

Sally Trude said...

Oh egads. Now I’m going to have to expand the rainbow to include brown. Plus I’m going to have to excavate to find the cow pasture.

Cathy said...

You’re going to start a cow revival. All of Sally’s patterns are cute, but standing bunnies, cows and owls top my list. Obviously your acrobatic cows are trying to top everyone’s lists…. So cute!!