Saturday, January 15, 2022

Red Scraps Part II

Red is the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) color of the month. I do have lots of red scraps. I usually start with the largest and longest scrap pieces and cut them into common sizes of strips and squares. Then I start making blocks that take the longest or most pieces in that size of scrap and then work toward smaller and smaller blocks. 

This is Part II of my red scrap adventure. Part I was last week if you are interested. 

New for me this year are ZIP blocks (above). The blocks use 2 inch scraps. Instructions may be found at Klein Meisje Quilts. 

While I had the solids out for the ZIP bocks I cut some 2 inch squares for WONKY SHOOFLY blocks. I have little baggies of waste triangles in all colors to use for the triangle corners and I use 2 inch squares for the centers. The blocks finish at 4.5 inches. I started them last year but I didn't keep up with making them every month so maybe I will this year. I'll probably make a baby quilt with these. 

I'm also making QST FOUR PATCH blocks that finish at six inches. I am going to use these as an alternate block for some six inch four patch blocks. I have about sixty FOUR PATCH blocks so I'm aiming for sixty QST FOUR PATCH blocks.   I cut the Companion Angle ruler to cut these from 2 inch scraps. Each QST then finishes at 3 inches. I was inspired to make the FOUR PATCH/QST FOUR PATCH quilt by a vintage quilt.

BOW TIE blocks also made from 2 inch scraps. They finish at 3 inches. I'm still going through scraps so may end up cutting up pieces for more blocks but not necessarily get them sewn together this month. 

I'm also working with brown scraps this month and I had some 2 inch pieces handy so I also made a few brown BOW TIES. A BIG quilt requires lots and lots of little blocks. 

These little INDIAN HATCHET blocks that finish at four inches were also inspired by a vintage quilt. I just love these. They are made from 2.5 inch pieces and 2 inch corners although instead of using 2 inch squares for "flippy corners" I cut triangles with my EZ Angle Ruler from 2 inch width scraps and line those up in the corners and sew them on. 

I made PUSS IN THE CORNER or UNEVEN NINE PATCH blocks last year. I only need to make a few more this year. With a 3.5 inch center and 2 inch sides they finish at six inches. 

Last year I started making BEAR PAW blocks whenever I had 2.5 and/or 4.5 inch scraps left over from making other blocks and quilts. I figured I would just build up a big pile of them in my Parts Department and at the end of the year make a few kid sized BEAR PAW quilts. These finish at 6 inches. 

Also when I have leftover 3 inch scraps I've been making HOLLOW NINE PATCHES.  I don't have 3 inch scraps left over very often so I don't expect to make many of these blocks. I may just end up with enough at year end for a kid sized quilt. 


Also if I run across any pieces that are at least 5 x 9.5 I make HORIZON bocks. The instructions for this simple block is also found at Klein Meisje Quilts.  Again I'll see how many I have at year end and make the blocks into kid sized quilts. 

I cut a lot of these from layer cake pieces. Every once in awhile people give me scraps with a few odds and ends of what I suspect are left over pieces from a layer cake- 10 inch squares pinked all around.



Got Scraps?
Make something or some things and join us each ScrapHappy Saturday to show us what you made.  

 

19 comments:

Jennifer said...

wow. quite the line up- but they all look great! the horizon blocks are intriguing...

Julie in GA said...

You have an amazing number of RSC projects in the works. I don't think I could keep them all straight! I love watching your progress on all of them.

scraphappy said...

So many pretty blocks. It is great that you just keep making what you can with what you have and then move on to what is next. There is a life lesson in there somewhere.

cityquilter grace said...

your machine must be smokin'! such pretty blocks...the red/pink combos are soo cheerful and colorful in drab winter

maggie fellow said...

wonderful to see how you move from one project to another.

Ivani said...

I'm impressed with the expressive amount of blocks you make weekly.
Well done Cathy!

Julierose said...

You have so many lovely projects on the go! Love those Indian Hatchett blocks..hugs, Julierose

Linda said...

AmazIng red collection this week,Cathy! Those Bear Paw blocks are fabulous. The Wonky Shoofly blocks are great ( a few little triangle cut off less in your stash) and this is a good alternative to the Wonky Stars I’m making - you’ve tempted me again!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Fun to see all your great block ideas! I'm always looking for ways to use up 2.5 inch squares and those hollow 9 patches are a good idea. Better put them on my list!

Sara said...

You have a LOT of scrappy red fun going on. I have baggies of hourglass and bowties going too - all from scraps.

Maggie said...

Wow! You are not holding back and you have so many interesting blocks in your line up. One of my first big quilts was with bow ties and I have a soft spot for them. Have a wonderful day.

Jenny said...

Just as well I'm sitting down as I needed a rest after reading about your many and varied projects! You are certainly off to a great start.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oh, goodness, Cathy! What RED scrappy fun you have been having!!

Ann said...

Red is my favorite color... until I see other colors. They all excite me. Your blocks are wonderful.

Linda Swanekamp said...

All I can say is you are amazing.

MissPat said...

I've settled on making Hollow Nine pathces from 2.5" square after seeing a quilt Mari finished.
Pat

gayle said...

Oh, look at you go! So many wonderful blocks!

Susie H said...

You really churned out a lot of red blocks this week. Fabulous job!

Janice said...

How are you ?
Miss seeing your posts and inspiration of what you are doing with the scrap stash.
Janice