Saturday, March 7, 2020

Scraps of Blue-green

 Churn Dashes that finish at 13.5 inches

The Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) color of the month is teal. It's also aqua, turquoise and blue-green . When I was growing up I called it all turquoise. I think they are all different hues of blue-green and aqua is lighter than turquoise and teal is darker than turquoise but I'm definitely not a color expert. In order to know what color I should call my blue-green scraps I guess I would have to see scraps of all the blue-green hues together in one place and sort them accordingly into light, medium and dark piles. Not going to happen! Girls just want to have fun with scraps no matter what the color.

  First off I usually start off the month with my scrap chunks which are larger than 4.5 inches and less than a fat quarter (FQ).  I've been trying to make two of these large churn dash blocks each month for donation quilts. I think 24 will be enough for two small or one large quilt. 

 Double X Mosaic and Snowballs that finish at 4 inches. 
This is my second year of making these blocks inspired by a vintage quilt. 
These pieces require 2.5 and 1.5 inch parts so I cut those pieces from my scrap chunks. I had a lot of that light green yardage I'm using for the background in my stash. I'm making blocks until I run out of that light green yardage. 
 Wishing Rings that finish at 3.5 inches. 
This is another project started last year and continuing into this year. It takes a lot of them to make a big quilt. 

I cut pieces for these from scraps from the 3.5 and 1.5 scrap bins if I have them. Otherwise I cut from scrap chunks.  The center which is 2 inches unfinished and the corners which are 1.5 inch squares are usually cut from a 3.5 inch scrap.  The sides usually come from the 1.5 inch scrap bin. 
 Then since I was in the 3.5 inch scrap bin I made Broken Dishes blocks that finish at six inches. I think this may be my third year of making these blocks. Someday they will make it into a quilt. For now they are a good use of scraps. 

Hourglass Blocks that finish at six inches. 

I just started making hourglass blocks from my 3.5 inch scraps.  I'm also going to start making them from 2 inch scraps. Those made with 2 inch scraps will finish at 3 inches. I'll combine both sizes in a quilt someday when I have enough of each. For now I'm just using bright scraps. 

17 comments:

maggie fellow said...

fun, fun projects

The Joyful Quilter said...

Ever the industrious quilt maker, Cathy! Your TEAL for the RSC are adding up quickly.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I love the idea of making blocks and letting them accumulate for a SCRAPPY quilt top. RSC is such a great enabler for that method. Your colors today are so cheerful!

Cathy said...

As always, you are the Queen of Scrappy Ideas. I love all your little blocks. And the big Churn Dashes too!

scraphappy said...

Teal turquoise or aqua, they all look great to me.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

so many different shades to aqua isn't there - love all the blocks

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I have the same issue with "teal, turquoise, aqua" - which one to call it?! When we have this month, I play with whatever seems to fit, like you do. Fun to see all of your blocks!

Julierose said...

Just a lovely group of teal blocks--I really like those churn dash blocks...so pretty and a nice larger size, too...hugs, Julierose

---"Love" said...

I like those blocks a lot! ---"Love"

grammajudyb said...

So many blocks, so many colors! All so pretty! If I could just settle on a block, now that my garlic knots flimsy is done........maybe hourglass blocks, or broken dishes, or churn dash! Oh my!

Kathy S. said...

I love the idea of making blocks until you run out of background fabric. That quilt is going to be sweet!

Debi said...

Love your blocks-especially the Wishing Rings.

gayle said...

"not a color expert"... yeah, right. You do just fine knowing what colors to use where! :)

Linda said...

Another lovely collection of blocks. Always interesting to see how different combinations of fabrics change the look of the same block. Your two Churn Dash blocks are a good example.

Quilter Kathy said...

So much wonderful fabric variety... I love the wishing rings and must get back to working on mine!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I have been thinking about a purple. gray and turquoise scrap quilt. Seeing your lovely wishing rings has eliminated the last of my willpower. I might just have to start cutting tonight!

MissPat said...

I dither so much over whether aqua, turquoise and teal are too green or too blue, but when I throw them back with the blues or greens, they don't fit there either. I guess in a scrappy quilt, it doesn't really matter in the end. A great collection of blocks.
Pat