Thursday, March 19, 2020

A Finish!

 A Donation Quilt
40 x 60


 In December I received a small box of scraps and some blocks from a friend. There were 21 Quarter Log Cabin blocks that were about 8 inch square unfinished. They all appeared to start with a 3.5 inch aqua square surrounded by 2 inch scraps.  I later found some starter squares were four inches or so so I trimmed them all to 8 inch square usually trimming the starter square to 3.5 inches.  There were also three blocks of that 21 that were missing one side. I added a 2 x 8 inch scrap from my 2 inch scrap bin and made sure those blocks were also 8 inch square with the aqua starter square trimmed to 3.5 inches.  I then made 3 more blocks from my own scraps so I had a total of twenty-four eight inch square blocks.  Then I decided I wanted the blocks to be close to 10 inches because most of the small donation quilts I make measure 40 x 60  and that's easy to do with 10 inch blocks.   That meant I needed to add two more rounds to the blocks.  My 2 inch scrap bin didn't have enough long lengths in it for 2 rounds so I decided to cut what was in there for the outside round.  I went to my scrap chunks and found some aqua pieces and cut those for the first additional round I needed to add. 


I get by with a little help from my friends. The reminds-me-of-grandma-calico backing fabric came in a box of goodies from a friend in February. The scrappy binding came in a box of goodies from another friend a few weeks ago.  There was a bag of 2.25 inch binding pieces. I normally cut my bindings at 2.5 inches and have never used 2.25 binding. I found that it works better for use on quilts where I sew down the binding by machine which is a requirement for a couple of places I donate quilts. 

This quilt will probably be donated to Wrap-A-Smile, a Rotaplast partner.  Rotaplast International, Inc. is committed to helping children and families worldwide by eliminating the burden of cleft lip and/or palate, burn scarring, and other deformities.  

11 comments:

djquilting said...

Love everything about this one.

Quilting Babcia said...

I love this quilt, especially that wonderful button fabric. I had some a while back but it's now either gone or just tiny scraps left.

Nikki said...

That quilt is just wonderful! I have two quilts that I am determined to finish before starting anything new....but your quilt is tempting me!

---"Love" said...

It is just amazing what all you are able to do with scraps of all kinds! This one is really pretty! ---"Love"

cityquilter grace said...

a real scrappy beauty...

Nann said...

It turned out really well, Cathy. Glad I could contribute.

Linda said...

Oh, I love this quilt, Cathy. Well, blue is my colour so how could I not love this quilt? Really enjoyed reading the back story of how this quilt evolved.

mangozz said...

I love the colors in this quilt and the different shape of the blocks which gives it a very unique design. It sort of reminds me of waterfalls. I like the quilting you did too. I find that it's hard working with someone else's blocks especially when you need to add some different fabric to the mix, as it doesn't always blend in, but in this quilt it works. This quilt will be perfect for a girl or a boy.

Louise said...

It's like a cool drink of water! And I like that swirly quilting, too. I also find 2.25" works well for machine stitched bindings when I sew to the back then flip to the front. Congrats on a fun WAS finish :)

swooze said...

Love this. It doesn’t look like you laid anything out in a planned fashion

Pamela Arbour said...

Love it and the commentary on the journey. Like your thought process.