Friday, June 14, 2019

Two More Finishes

 Donation Quilts in Primary Colors
40 x 60

 Sunshine Online Quilt Guild (SOQG) is holding a retreat June 12 - 15 in Mendota, MN.  I'm sewing along at home.  We make quilts for kids around the world. We donate to two programs: Wrap a Smile and Quilts Beyond Borders. Quilts go to kids, teens, and adults undergoing cleft palate surgery and to under-served children, often in orphanages, worldwide.
 Last year members of SOQG made lots of Mendota blocks that they are now sewing together at retreat into tops. A Mendota block is basically a framed offset square that finishes at 10 inches. I like to think of them as offset Happy Blocks. 
 I made some Mendota blocks last year while going through scraps. I made blocks with primary colored centers bordered with primary colors and blocks with secondary colors bordered with secondary colors. 
 I don't  have enough secondary blocks for a quilt but I did have enough primary colors for two quilts. 

Both are quilted with flowers and leaves on my DSM in neutral threads. 

 The back of the pink, aqua, yellow one has a dark pansy fabric I've had around for years. I think at one time I was going to make curtains out of it.  The binding was a piece of fabric from the thrift store that still had the .45 cent tag on it. It was enough for the binding for two quilts. 
For the backing of the other quilt I pieced together leftovers from a sheet used on another quilt. I also had enough leftovers for the binding. 

for

7 comments:

Julierose said...

these are just so colorful--lovely mauves in there...hugs, Julierose

Debbi said...

What fun lively quilts! I’m sure they will be loved by the recipients! You always inspire me to use my scraps!

Janie said...

The Offset Happy Blocks are wonderful, colorful and exciting. Anyone would enjoy having one.
Keep up the great work!

Linda said...

Goodness, another two donation quilts. Fantastic!

Louise said...

They look great, Cathy! Are they for WAS, or QBB?

The Joyful Quilter said...

Both of these quilts are SEW darling!!!

Sew of Course said...

Both quilts are lovely, and so colourful. Thank you for participating in the FAL!