Thursday, June 13, 2019

It's a Finish!

 It's a finish!
40 x 60
Ready for donation. 
Sunshine Online Quilt Guild (SOQG) is holding a retreat June 12 - 15 in Mendota, MN.  I'm sewing along at home.  We make quilts for kids around the world. We donate to two programs: Wrap a Smile and Quilts Beyond Borders. Quilts go to kids, teens, and adults undergoing cleft palate surgery and to under-served children, often in orphanages, worldwide.
 Last year members made lots of Mendota blocks that they are now sewing together at retreat into tops. A Mendota block is basically a framed offset square that finishes at 10 inches. I like to think of them as offset Happy Blocks.  Mendota Cats is one of five tops I made last October when I was cleaning up cat themed scraps. 
And now it is finally a finished quilt.  I quilted it with leaves and flowers on my DSM with navy blue thread in the bobbin and neutral on top.  Binding was two different florals that kind of matched one of the florals in the top.  Backing was fabric I bought on sale years ago specifically for use as a donation quilt backing. 



for

7 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

what a nice finish! someone is going to love to cuddly up with that quilt

Linda said...

Another great donation quilt. Love all the cat fabrics.

Pamela Arbour said...

I love it. That is going to bring a lot of comfort to someone in need.

---"Love" said...

What a fun quilt! I love the irregularity of the center sections. Makes for an interesting setting. ---"Love"

Louise said...

It looks great! As I put my Mendota blocks together, I keep thinking how versatile the pattern is. I really like your idea of grouping together a theme like cats, using this block.

Emily said...

Love it! It will bring lots of smiles!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oh! This kitty quilt is TOO cute!!!