Tuesday, June 18, 2019

It's a Flimsy! HISSSSSS




It's a flimsy!
66 x 88
I started this November 2015 as a Rainbow Scrap Challenge project to use 2.5 inch scraps.  I worked on it off and on over the years. I think the main reason it was a UFO for so long is because I cut those snake parts by hand and I don't really like cutting pieces to begin with and like cutting pieces even less if they are cut with scissors and a paper template. 


 Then it took me a while to figure out how to use the blocks in a quilt. I didn't plan that out before I started making blocks that had two curves of the same color.  It just so happened that they worked perfectly in a rainbow configuration. 
 My inspiration was a color matching game...
...I used to play with my grandson when he was a wee one. 




Now that I've got it to flimsy stage I really like it and might have to make some plastic templates for those snake parts so I can use a rotary cutter to make another one. I really like the one with the blue/orange background in a Barbara Brackman post on Snakes

22 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

very nice....i like it a lot! scrappy is beautiful...

---"Love" said...

That is soooooo cute! I've always loved the Drunkard's Path pattern, and that's a clever variation of it. Glad you got it together! ---"Love"

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Cathy, that is wonderful! I love the rainbow layout, and it looks like those curved pieces just line right up from block to block.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Wow, that's a beautiful quilt!

Linda said...

Congratulations on getting to the flimsy stage of HISS. Looking good.

Sue SA said...

Looks fantastic! What a great way to use up brown (I struggle with brown scraps) because it makes the rainbow colours really pop!

Julierose said...

Love those "snake-ey blocks!! Hugs, Julierose

Janie said...

Nice piecing! I like the rainbow colors against the rich brown too. Congratulations on a finished top.
The Hiss game looks fun for kids.

Teresa said...

Great colorful quilt

Quilting Babcia said...

What a fun top! Will you machine or hand quilt this one?

MissPat said...

This would be a perfect quilt for a boy. You sure do finish up a bunch of quilts when you set your mind to it.
Pat

Mystic Quilter said...

Super colourful, love the movement in this quilt.

Vicki in MN said...

You are really cranking through them, good for you!

SandyPA said...

What a great quilt! I like the colorful lines with the soft brown ground layer. You could hand quilt along the snakes with a rainbow variegated thread. Sandy at sewhigh.blogspot.com

Louise said...

This is so great! Rainbow snakes slithering through the brown dirt. Or is it chocolate? :)

Kathy S. said...

It's beautiful! I love the way you matched the colors and thanks for showing us your inspiration. Inspiration is everywhere when you've got IT! Whew... I just did a double take at my calendar. I got another week to finish my OMG for June. Summer is flying by. Hope yours is a fun one.

Cathy said...

It’ssssss sssspectacular!

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Love the rainbow configuration. Cute concept for a game and has the side benefit of reducing stigma and fear of snakes!

Debbie said...

Great idea for a quilt. So glad you got your flimsy done.

Preeti said...

If snakes were as cute and colorful as these, I am sure they would have a much longer life and would make darling pets. Love your RSC blocks and what you did with them is absolutely lovely. Sometime blocks have to simmer a while to become something special!!!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I am not a fan of snakes but this quilt is one of my favorites. I love the rainbow setting!

Patty said...

What a fun quilt top! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your project.