Saturday, November 7, 2015

Planning Ahead


Green is the color of the month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. 
I made almost all of my light green/bright green/dark green blocks for all of my RSC projects back in May. I just need to make some Dresdens this month. I have those pieces cut. 

So, I started planning some RSC projects for next year because I still have lots of scraps

First up is Snake Trail.   I'm going to use browns for the background and scraps for the snake. 

I think my grandson will like this quilt because he LOVES playing a game called Hissssssssss - a snake making tile game (although at age 6 he's a little old for it now but this quilt might trigger memories later on in life of playing Hissssss with grandma.)


The pattern  is from Modern Quilts, Traditional Inspiration by Denyse Schmidt. 


The other project will use 4.5 inch scraps in color of the month and neutrals.  I'll just make some of these easy/peasy units each month. Not sure how I will lay them out at the end of the year but I'll probably end up with a couple of quilts. 


The method and inspiration came from Kathy Doughty's book Making Quilts. 

I'll probably make two quilts for my granddaughters and swap out that "Red Center" (the name of Kathy Doughty's quilt) and replace it with a little heart block and think of some sappy name for the quilt that reminds them how much I love them.  

Will you join us for RSC 2016? (No purchase necessary)!!!!!!


21 comments:

scraphappy said...

Already looking forward to 2016. First to finish off the 2015 list though. Glad you are already planning ahead.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Oh yes, I'll join in again next year. I've made 2 quilts from that red centre design and both are well loved. Isn't it fun to plan projects ??!?!?!?!

Nell's Quilts said...

Plans for 2016 already. Both projects look like so much fun.

Julierose said...

Your little snakes are amazing--he will LOVE it!
that is a great pattern....
hugs, Julierose

gayle said...

I love both of your ideas! They look like tons of fun to play with.
I'm auditioning ideas for next year at the moment. Must. Narrow. Down. List.

Julianne said...

Well that "Hissing" quilt is just dang cute and he is going to love it! I really like that other quilt that you are making for the RSC, is that an old book? Would love the pattern!

Mystic Quilter said...

Snake Trail is super!! Look forward to seeing what 2016 brings!

PaulaB quilts said...

Thanks for sharing your ideas for next year, which have started me thinking, about time!

Deb A said...

I'm joining in again as well. Love your choices for scrappy quilts next year.

LA Paylor said...

My gran left me a top that I hand quilted from the pattern you call snakes. She called it sidewalks of ny because of the setting. She made it in the forties. I have it luckily. Lee anna

The Joyful Quilter said...

I'm certainly joining in another year of RSC scrap quilting FUN!!! Now, to narrow down the project options...

Kaja said...

You are well organised and I like your plans. Maybe I will turn one of the quilts in my head into a scrap project and join in.

Helen in the UK said...

Particularly love those snake trail blocks :)

Marly said...

The snake trails look like being a fun project. Do you use a Dresden ruler to cut the "snake" pieces? I love the effect of those little squares - a variation on HSTs, if I'm not mistaken. Well done being so well organised.

Quilter Kathy said...

Fabulous new scrappy projects!

Ann said...

Wow, you are bringing back old memories. I saw Snake Trails and Jack's Chain years ago. I always planned to make a Snake as a roadway for toy cars for my sons. Now perhaps for a grandson. And I picked up Jack's Chain pattern from Karey Bresenhan's former quilt shop, Great Expectations in the 80's. Now to get started on one of those sometime this decade...
Congratulations on your productivity and beauty.

Sheila said...

Love those snake looking blocks. I can also imagine a little one using them as roads for their little cars. Excellent ideas for 2016 RSC.

Sally Trude said...

Hmm...a snake in the grass or maybe someone spiked your limeade.

Kate said...

Snake Trail is going to be a lot of fun. What a great quilt for a boy.

Angie said...

Thanks for the inspiration and pointer to Kathy Doughty's pattern! I have been wanting to make a quilt with those half rectangle style blocks, but was struggling with the math & construction. If Kathy has already done the work for me, I'll be in good shape (I already have the book)!

Dasha said...

Great ideas for next year's challenge. Love the logic of the Hissss block :-)