Thursday, April 19, 2018

It's a Flimsy! Fall Festival




Fall Festival
60 x 75
It's a Flimsy!

Several years ago I participated in several themed Chunky Churn Dash swaps - patriotic, 30s, fall, floral.  I wanted to challenge myself to set them all differently with alternate blocks.  This is quilt #3 using the fall themed blocks.   I originally intended to make a bigger quilt and use two different 15 inch blocks like above - one with four Chunky Churn blocks, geese with dark corners for sashing, 3 inch 9 patch for center and another with four framed four patches and light corners on the geese sashing.   I intended to make 18 of each and set them 6 x 6. 

After I made 18 of the blocks using all my Chunky Churn Dash blocks I didn't feel like making 16 more blocks (I made two for a test run) using framed four patches so decided to make a quilt with 20 blocks instead - 18 with Chunky Churns and 2 with Framed Four Patches. 

 The two blocks with the Framed Four Patches blend in but also stand out. 
 I love quilts with fall colors. 
It looks like a pile of leaves I'd like to jump into. 


 And there's some secondary patterns.
I kind of like that too. 
I have a flannel sheet I might use for the backing. I think I will have to let out the side seams because the width of the quilt top fits just inside those two seams with no fabric left to spare and I think I need a little wiggle room in order to quilt this on my DSM. 


10 comments:

mangozz said...

Your colors are so well balanced in this quilt. You did an amazing job. This quilt would have driven me crazy.

Quiltdivajulie said...

This is just stupendous scrappy fun -- yes!!!

Quilting Babcia said...

This quilt is a Festival of Fabrics! You've done a fabulous job of putting together all the various pieces of the puzzle, something you really excel at!

Louise said...

Love the stained glass effect in your photos! So many great colors in this quilt :)

Julierose said...

Beautiful on this --love all the scrappy looking colors...hugs, Julierose

Pamela Arbour said...

Love all of the fabrics together. This will be well loved.

gayle said...

The leafy fall flannel back will be perfect for this happy-go-lucky flimsy!

Linda said...

Brilliant use of colour. I love it!

Janie said...

Scrappy delicious and a lot of fun just finding all the different blocks and combinations.
Congratulations on your flimsy finish.

Kaja said...

I love the richness of the colours; a fabulous scrappy quilt.