Friday, April 20, 2018

Crumby Yellow Stuff

 Two 12 inch slabs with heart centers.  They came out of a box of crumbs. 


 Crumbs?  Those little odd sized bits and pieces of scraps.  I have several boxes of them. I go through them each month and sort out the pieces in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color of the month.  Then I try to make quilt blocks out of them.  Later in the year I will make a bunch of comfort quilts out of the blocks I make all year to donate to a few of my favorite places. 
 I also have a Wonky Box of crumbs.  These are extra little HSTs or wonky HSTS or waste triangles sewn together, etc.   I pick through here too. 

So what else did I make besides the slabs from crumbs?


Four twelve inch blocks. 

A ten inch block. Well, actually it's supposed to be 10 inches, I think but I haven't squared it up yet. These HSTS were in the wonky box. I put them together and didn't worry about matching points, cut off points, etc. 

I made several ten inch Mendota Blocks - instructions found at the Sunshine Online Quilt Guild.  The group owner, Carol, drafts a block every other year named after the place where a quilt retreat is held.  Last year was the Omaha block and the ladies at retreat made over 180 quilt tops at retreat. I did not attend but sewed along at home.  The retreat will be held in Mendota in 2019 and this is the block everyone will make this year to be sewn together next year at retreat. 

Anyway, these are 10 inch blocks with five inch centers.  So any big scraps at least five inches square went into the making of these blocks as well as some five inch crumb blocks.   I decided I will border primary color centers in primary colors and secondary color centers in secondary colors.   So yellow got bordered with some red scraps...


...some blue scraps...
...and a variety of yellow scraps bordered some five inch crumb centers. 
I added seven 8 inch crumb stars to the pile. When I make these I add the complementary color.  Good thing Sawtooth Stars are versatile. I meant to make the star points yellow and the background purple but got mixed up when I cut the flying geese pieces for the star points. 

And from Cathy's Crumby Confectionery Company - Crumby Yummies in a variety of flavors. 

An eight inch block for the orphan box. 
A few Itty Bitty Nitty Gritty Fish. 
A variety of six inch (or close to it) blocks. 
And a variety of four inch blocks and a strip for a Chinese Coin quilt. 
The 16 gallon box that holds the four inch parts is getting full. I may have to do something with them sooner than later.  I have a few ideas. 

And now you know about the Crumby part of Sane, Crazy, Crumby Quilting! 
I'm turning Crumbs into Comfort Quilts! Crumbs for Comfort! 

22 comments:

TakeMeThereTotes said...

I am so impressed with your creative crumby scrap blocks. I kind of freeze when I dump out my scraps. I don't know what direction to go much of the time. This post helps me see the possibilities. Thanks for sharing.

Janice Holton said...

I echo the first comment. Love the variety of possibilities you showed us that can be done with crumbs. Loved your post!

Louise said...

I love this kind of sewing, free form and fun! Mendota blocks are a little like your Happy Blocks, but wonkier. Crumbs make excellent centers for those, and so many other things. Your candies are my favorites this week :)

Aileen said...

You made me feel better about the crumbs I am playing with tonight, I have so many UFO and things to make but I don't want to work on these. I love all your crumb blocks. I think I may make myself a sample of a few so I don't forget. Senior moments run rampant in my house lately!! LOL

Linda said...

Your brain works so fast, Cathy, conjuring up ideas on how to use all those crumbs. And then your hands work like lightning to create so many different blocks. Amazing! I think I prefer the purple points to the Sawtooth Stars, they make the crumb centre stand out.

Kaja said...

So much cheer in this post; I like the crumbs with little hearts and the blocks with a crumb block in the centre the best, though of course all the blocks look great.

Frog Quilter said...

Love the crummy yummy blocks. Of course all the rest of the eye candy too.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who confuses the pieces and parts of Sawtooth Star blocks!! Your (bajillion) YELLOW blocks look SEW bright and cheerful. Have fun turning all of this into quilts!

MissPat said...

Do you make your crumb blocks in a variety of sizes? Or do you make them to fit a particular block you decide to make. I'm making yellow crumb blocks right now and making them all 6.5", but I don't have a purpose for them at the moment other than trying to use up little bits.
Pat

grammajudyb said...

So many scraps, so many possibilities. Thanks for all the inspiration. I love your saw tooth star blocks with the purple points, a happy accident for sure!

Ivani said...

WOW you have been busy sewing all those tiny scraps. I love the Stars and candy blocks. This week I organized almost all the scrap chaos here.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You have such great ideas for crumbs! I especially like the yellows with pink hearts at the center!

Deb A said...

Wow! That is a lot of yellow scrappy goodness! Love the little candies with the white background.

Nann said...

Cathy, you are the Rainbow Scrap queen! All your yellow blocks are grand. Glad I could contribute to your latest flimsy. (Another scrappy name: gallimaufry, meaning "a medley.") Which Mendota? My brother-in-law is from Mendota, IL.

scraphappy said...

It always amazes me that you manage to keep pulling more fabulous blocks out of you crumb bins. Though it is hard to decide, I think the fish are my favorite

quiltingbydawn said...

Your yellow blocks are amazing! Great use of all those color combinations with yellow! I don't think I could pick a favorite!

Julie in GA said...

Wow, that's a lot of beautiful yellow crumb blocks! How in the world do you get so much done? I'm impressed and amazed!

gayle said...

Even your crumby orphans are gorgeous! You continue to amaze!

Janie said...

You must have super hero powers of organization to keep track of so many little pieces and colors and boxes and quilts to make.
My little brain would short circuit.
Thanks for sharing your process.

Sally Trude said...

A festival of prints...candy made from candy and cherries. And those sharks are very funny. And the hearts among the crumbs are wonderful.

Mystic Quilter said...

Heavens you have some beauties to show us today!! I love the pink with the yellow - reminds me of sherbet and also the yellow and lilac.

audrey said...

Love the wonky triangle block especially. Have been pondering a quilt made from blocks just like that!