I've finished the last six of the twenty-five Pickles required so I can move forward to the next steps.
Instead of a weekly Pickle block I might have to blog about a weekly Tobacco Leaf block or a weekly Sunflower block. Keeping a weekly goal for myself has really helped keep this quilt from becoming a UFO.
I'm working toward this Pickle Dish quilt. It's not normally what you think of when you think of a Pickle Dish quilt. It's from Kathy Doughty's book Making Quilts. As you may or may not notice the Pickles are trimmed with 1/4 inch bias tape and then appliqued to the background. The next step is making the bias tape. I've never done that before but have reviewed several tutorials and am thinking...just thinking...of buying a bias tape maker. First I'm going to try making some without it.
After looking at several fabrics ( well, actually just two) I have on hand that might yield enough bias I've decided on this orangey-brown. I think it blends well enough with most of the blocks and with the background fabric.