Chunky Churns and Spools
30s reproductions meet calicoes
68 x 86
Machine quilted on my DSM
I can mark two UFOs off the list with this one. I combined blocks from a calico on muslin Spool swap in 2010 and a Chunky Churn swap in 30s reproductions and a solid from 2015.
There's no design wall here. It's usually my practice to randomly sew blocks together. That's what I did this time but of course alternated a spool and a churn. I think if I did have a design wall I would spend too much time arranging and rearranging and rearranging and rearranging and never be satisfied. How do I know? That has happened when I have tried to lay out blocks on the floor. Anyway...I'm usually satisfied with my random method and I've managed to skip the step that gives me grief.
I usually don't add borders because I never know what kind of border to add. Plus I like piecing blocks so piece and piece until I have enough for a nice sized top which means I'm ready to sew a quilt top together. At that point I don't want to make a different block for a border. And I rarely buy large pieces of yardage to have enough on hand for a non-pieced border of fabric(s) and so I usually make quilts without borders.
HOWEVER this time I did not want to make more Churns or Spools to make the quilt a little larger so I decided to challenge myself to add a border. I decided to try an easy zig zag or rick racky looking border. And all went okay on the first corner BUT...
... only too late did I find out at the second corner that those rick racky ends did not meet up so nicely no matter how hard I tried. Maybe if I had laid out the border on the floor ahead of time I would have seen the problem but I didn't so I had to improvise what to do on opposite corners. It doesn't affect the warmth the quilt will bring someone so I'm all right with that.
I didn't take a picture of the backing because it was cold outside yesterday when I took these pics but it is a plain white 100% old muslin sheet that I found new in the package at the thrift store with a J.C. Penney logo on the front. With the quilting I did the back looks like a mattress pad.
You can kind of see the quilting on that black calico spool - a pattern of up and down loops using each 2 inch square as a guide (most of the time). This was the first time I tried this. I found it pretty easy to do on these blocks laid out on a grid and may try it again. This time I got a little confused every once in awhile when I hit the blank space on the spools.
I participated in four different Chunky Churn Dash swaps with different themes - patriotic, 30s, fall, spring. I decided to challenge myself with different alternate block layouts for each theme. So far I finished the patriotic themed one - a Quilt of Valor for my brother-in-law and this one.
for Q4 Finish-Along
This will go into the twin sized donation quilt pile.