Old MacDonald Mystery Sampler
54 x 66
This sampler had a variety of different blocks - some paper pieced, some traditional, some improv. I tried them all and ended up with this sampler.
I knew I didn't want any edge to edge quilting pattern on it. That left me with hand quilting - kind of free motion hand quilting. I'm no expert at hand quilting but I'm really terrible at quilting on my DSM especially if it's not an edge to edge design.
In the sky I kind of free motion quilted some "clouds" that kind of mimicked those circular improv blocks in the sky.
The barn got some straight line quilting for some boards.
Flowers, improv grass, snail trails, hens, chicks...I let the needle lead the way. I used a lot of different colors of hand quilting thread. Although it may look like it this was not big stitch quilting.
The sunflowers didn't have stems so I made some with some green bias binding I had on hand from one of my thrift store visits.
I did some straight line quilting here and there in different directions on the purple mountain majesties. I wanted them to look "rocky" but not sure I succeeded. But I'm okay with how things ended up.
I added a light gray binding so it wouldn't stand out and detract from the rest of the quilt. If it was going to be a wall quilt I would have faced it. But it's not. It's a lap quilt. My lap quilt. I love barns.
And here's the back.
I have another quilt in the hoop now so later this evening I'll do some
And needless to say...I used lots of scrap chunks in the making of this quilt so