Monday, August 31, 2026

August Leader/Enders



Broken Dishes
4 inch finished blocks

I now have 61 Broken Dishes blocks. My goal is 300. I know I have more blocks to add to the mix. I have a box of Broken Dishes in all different sizes. 

You may or may not remember that recently someone sent me a whole lot of 2.5 inch unfinished HSTs and HST parts.  Right now I am working with the HST parts as leader/enders.  I sorted the parts by color and then sorted out pairs. Then I matched up pairs with a similar set of pairs. 

I then used some light pairs within the HST parts to complete the HSTs but quickly ran out of light HST parts. So I have been cutting sets of four light HST parts from scraps with my Easy Angle ruler. This is the kind of stack I have next to my sewing machine for the first round of leader/enders.  When I match up my light HST parts with the ones given to me I match up the corners of light/dark and then sew along the diagonal of the light one. Basically that makes it so I hardly have any squaring up to do. I just need to trim dog ears.  But when I use light pieces from the parts given to me those do need squaring up. 

I've webbed a lot of tops this month so at the end of each column added to the web a set of four HSTs for a Broken Dish block was sewn together. 

Then they go into a bin for ironing and trimming. Then they go through as leader/enders again to make the Broken Dishes blocks. 

These are the bags of HSTs that had papers attached. I have now removed all of the papers and the bag on the left have been ironed. I'm not going to do anything with these until I reach my goal of 300 Broken Dishes. I might need to sort through these for pairs to make more Broken Dishes. However, I think most will go into making the traditional Depression Block to finish at 8 inches. 

And sew on...

***
Packing up today to leave tomorrow between 5-5:30 for a trip to University of Iowa for John's surgery. I expect to be gone for a week. 

Tuesday September 01, 2026
MANDIBULECTOMY
INTRAORAL LESION EXCISION WITH OR WITHOUT ALLODERM
TRACHEOTOMY
Performed by Zaid Al-Qurayshi








 

10 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I hope all goes well tomorrow with better than expected results. There shouldn't be much traffic that early on the road.

Anonymous said...

You have a lot of your followers wishing you and John a successful surgery.

Anonymous said...

๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฝ Laura

Sally Langston Warren said...

Prayers for a safe trip and all the best people on your team! Take care.

Chantal said...

My thoughts are with you and John. May all go well, please God.
I basically do the same process with my HST blocks. They go through the different stages in group too. Take care. ๐Ÿงก ;^)

Anonymous said...

Prayers for a successful surgery and easy recovery. Hope you feel the support from your followers on this journey.

Anonymous said...

A New Hampshire admirer is holding you and John up in prayer.
Sharon M

greaterexp said...

Praying the best results from surgery and a smooth recovery.

JustGail said...

I hope all goes well with the surgery and recovery.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Fabulous leader ender project.
prayers and good wishes!!!