Saturday, September 10, 2022

September Blues

X Blocks
3 inch finished

Using blue scraps this month...

This is a new start that uses 5 inch squares. I dug into my squares bin and pulled out blue squares plus a matching square of another color. I made the blocks following a tutorial at My Joyful Journey - see the BONUS instructions. 

Speaking of 5 inch squares...I also pulled a couple of blues to make Economy Blocks for and then noticed I only needed a few more blocks to reach my goal of 140 so I made more and made goal! 

The free pattern is Sun Print by Alison Glass.   The next step is to add 2 inch partial frames around the blocks and then assemble. 

Then I moved on from 5 inch squares to my 1.5 inch scrap bin that I have been trying to empty for a couple of years. It consists of mostly short bits and pieces but every once in awhile when I get to the end of a piece of fabric I throw in a whole strip. Well, anyway, for over a year I have been making 5 inch finished rail fence blocks. I pulled out blue scraps and made a few blocks to add to the collection. Well, I noticed my goal was 96 blocks and after making the blue blocks I had 72. So, I decided to see if I could make more blocks and reach my goal. 

And before I knew it...

...I met my goal of 96 blocks for a layout of 8 blocks by 12 blocks for a kiddo sized quilt 40 x 60.   For now they will go into the overflowing SAR (Some Assembly Required) box that is overflowing with block sets I will make into tops some time this winter when I'm not out working in the gardens. 

Ok. So still in the 1.5 inch blue scraps I made a few Switch Plate blocks that finish at 3 x 5  and  I finished a few 18 patch blocks that finish at 6 inches. I still need quite a few of both of these blocks so no complete block set with either of these. I'm not even sure I've decided what sizes of quilts I'm making with those blocks or how many I need.  

Last month I was searching through some project boxes to see if any held solids and came across an almost complete rainbow UFO. It looks like I needed at least one indigo postage stamp block and at least one violet postage stamp block in order to move forward with my UFO so I made a couple of postage stamp blocks and hope to move that UFO forward soon so I can use the leftover rainbow of solids I found with the project. 

And then I cut up what was left of the blue 1.5 inch pieces into 1.5 x 2.5 pieces for future 18 patch blocks or for Lego blocks. And then I cut 1.5 inch squares for my new postage stamp quilt. 


 

14 comments:

Linda said...

What a lot of cutting and sewing. Great ideas for blocks as always.

grammajudyb said...

Hurray for enough blocks to make a quilt! Or two! Or three! I’ll be watching!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Congratulations on making your goal with a couple sets of blocks! Those quilts will go together quickly once you are ready to sew them!

Cathy said...

So much scrappy goodness here, as always. It’s that time of year when I have to start narrowing down ideas for next year’s RSC, and your scrapilicious blocks always make the list longer, not shorter!! xo

Julierose said...

Such lovely projects; I especially like those "X" blocks blue and oranges a fave of mine...hugs julierose

mangozz said...

Love all of your blue and purple projects! I really like that Sunprint by Alison Glass pattern. I believe that will be one of my next projects. I love the simplicity of it. Thanks for the link. You are so inspiring.

gayle said...

Uh oh. Those mini x-blocks are whispering my name...
I'm never going to get to the bottom of this Quilts To Do list, am I?

Jenny said...

You are always so busy in the sewing room! That's why there are always so many lovely blocks to blog about.

MissPat said...

I foresee a marathon of quilt top sewing on the horizon.
Pat

Nann said...

The frames around the square-in-square units will add a great dimension. I assume those will be b/w prints, too?

P.S. Watch your mailbox Monday. (Or maybe Tuesday.) Just sayin'.....

Linda Swanekamp said...

I could never keep up with you. I tried some X blocks from 5" squares and make enough to make a 9 patch. Hokey Smokes- too small to make more. I started some Big Chips blocks, but got sidetracked. The x-block quilt is wonderful.

Deb A said...

Wow! You have done a great job playing with your scraps this year and oh so close to sewing into quilt tops.

Marei said...

Your X blocks (Old Italian blocks) are like potato chips to me! I find it very hard to make just one. Currently I have a bin filled with about 200 of them....but I still new a few more!!

Ann said...

I like your X blocks. I've used them in quilts in the past and you remind me to make more. Alison's design is a good way to use Economy blocks without having to match the points from one block to the next. I look forward to seeing that one move ahead. Have fun in your garden.