Saturday, July 30, 2022

Scrap Processing

Purple is the July Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) color of the month. I see the color for August is orange. So this week I finished up with a few purple scraps and went on to my orange scraps. 

Hollow Nine Patches
7.5 inches finished
Made with three inch squares

With these blocks I now have my goal of 48 blocks for a 6 x 8 layout. Now there's some assembly required. 

I don't have 3 inch width scraps very often but when I have run across them while scrap processing I have put them in the project box in order to make the Hollow Nine Patches. Now I have a few odds and ends that are 3 inches in width. I've decided to turn them into bricks if possible and I will separate them with yellow stones.  I'm not really going to turn this into a new RSC project. I'm just going to see how many bricks I can make with what I have. I think a kiddos sized donation quilt will take 112 bricks.

I'm thinking I might also make a separate quilt of neutral bricks with stones of all colors. 

The last of the purple scraps - 3 inch finished Bow Ties made with 2 inch scraps. 

I dug into my orange scraps and found a few 2.5 inch width strips.  I combined them with some neutral scraps and made as many sets of four 2.5 inch HSTs as I could. I also sewed up a few other sets of HSTs previously cut as I came across craps.   Some of the HSTs were combined with 4.5 inch squares from the squares bin and were turned into Bear Paw blocks.   I'll use these in different ways at year end to make a few donation quilts. 

Some of the other sets of 2.5 inch HSTs were combined with 1.5 inch squares to make Monkey Wrench blocks that finish at 5 inches. 

And finally...I found a few 4.5 inch orange scraps and combined those with neutral scraps to make HSTs. Those HSTs were then combined with 2.5 inch squares and made into Monkey Wrench blocks that finish at 10 inches. 

And sew on...


 

18 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

All of your ideas and sewing are always inspirational to me. You just go for it.

Linda said...

What an amazing gift you have to use all those scraps so creatively. A delicious blog post, full of colour and temptation!

scraphappy said...

Not only caught up, but ahead of the game! You are a great motivator for us all.

Julierose said...

You have such a wonderful variety of patterns for your scraps!! They are all so neat!! I do love the Bears' Paws blocks--really neat...hugs, Julierose

Cathy said...

Lovely blocks this week, Cathy! I really like those monkey wrenches!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Purple and orange are always so pretty together! I love the Hollow 9s - have to put them on my list!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Unbelievable! You've already started working with your orange scraps. I'm inspired by how prolific and on top of things you are.

Nann said...

Monkeying around takes on new life in your studio. And I like the term/idea of Hollow Nines.

Ivani said...

So smart of you started the orange blocks.

gayle said...

Whoosh! Look at you go!

sue s said...

You've got a great selection of blocks. I like the monkey wrenches best, not sure why.

Deb A said...

Great collections of blocks and look at you, playing with orange already! Enjoy your weekend.

Jenny said...

You never cease to amaze me with your block production each week. And wow, you must have a bunch of big exotic bears running around, leaving their colourful footprints behind!

Kathleen said...

love seeing how these move through your process... keep posting, love the photos !!

maggie fellow said...

whew a lot of scraps found a home

Sharon Kwilter said...

Your blocks are turning out nice. Are they all for different quilts? Or will you be combining them together?

cityquilter grace said...

wow and double wow...those are such pretty scrappy blocks!

Anonymous said...

Cathy,

I have started going through all your blog posts, again, from the very first one. I am truly amazed by all that you do. You should post some remember when pictures of your phenomenal crazy quilt stitching...WOW. I love the pictures of your garden just as much as I love the pictures of all the quilts that you complete. You are an inspiring woman who just doesn't quit at anything. The number of quilts that you complete is incomparable to any of the other blog posts that I visit and the number that you donate is also wonderful.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your site.

Michelle

PS: I feel like a slug when I view your site and am so totally jealous of your garden. LOL