Friday, July 22, 2022

Monkey Wrenches

Monkey Wrenches
40 x 60
10 inch blocks

I have a box of bits and pieces of various sized HST parts that I've been sewing up every once in awhile as leaders and enders. A lot of the HSTs came from cutting strips for Flying Geese or QSTs with the Companion Angle ruler. I cut an HST off of the beginning and ends of those strips with the Easy Angle ruler. 

I ran across a lot of 4.5 inch (unfinished) green HSTs and figured I might as well do something with them instead of throw them into baggies I have for the different sizes of finished HSTs.   I sorted out identical sets of four and paired them up with some neutrals and made my HSTs.  At first I was going to make Pinwheels or Broken Dishes blocks. Those blocks would finish at 8 inches and I would need at least 35 blocks for a kiddo sized donation quilt and I didn't have enough sets of HSTs for 35 blocks.   Then I thought of making 10 inch Monkey Wrench blocks. I need only 24 ten inch blocks for a kiddo donation quilt.   I sorted through my scrap bags sorted by color for some 2.5 inch scraps to finish out my Monkey Wrench blocks.   I used a colorful peace sign fabric for all of the centers. 



And that is how this quilt top came to be. 



And sew on...



 

5 comments:

Julierose said...

Really pretty Monkey Wrenches--lovely fabric pairings in these--nice and vintage looking--hugs, Julierose

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Wonderful child's donation quilt and great use of those HSTs.

Linda said...

That’s a really clever use of your bag of HSTs. Result of all your thinking and scrap sorting, a great Monkey Wrench top. .

Cathy said...

Testing comment notifications to email AGAIN!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a great top!!!