Sunday, September 19, 2021

Quilts of September #13

Purple Mountain Majesties
(Split Nine Patch)
60 x 72


Back in 2016 I was one of the August Block Lotto winners of Split Nine Patch blocks in a purple, gray and white colorway.  


I knew I wanted a nice sized donation quilt so I made enough blocks to add to my winnings to equal 120 blocks to be set 10 x 12.  For the longest time I could not decide on a layout because there are so many different ways to use Split Nine Patches. Actually you can use a Split Nine Patch any way you would use a 6 inch HST (half square triangle). 

I quilted it on my DSM.
I used a variegated purple thread and quilted swirls in the purple zigzags. 
I used light gray thread and just kind of quilted in some squiggly lines.

The backing is pieced with two completely different fabrics...

...but I think they blend together rather nicely.

Lots of different purple fabrics were used to make the binding.

That's finish #13 for September!
My OMG (One Monthly Goal) is to see how many quilts I can finish in September.

And on to the next!
(How many will I finish in September????) 


 

24 comments:

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Thirteen finishes for September and there are still many days left in the month! You are AMAZING!!! I do love the purples and the setting for this quilt!

Linda said...

Fabulous finish, Cathy. Dramatic arrangement for the Split nines. Really great backing, hadn’t realised there were two different fabrics in your backing, they meld together so well. Another one tomorrow????

Gretchen Weaver said...

Beautiful quilt! I love those purples!

scraphappy said...

I just love those purples. Such a simple pattern, but it looks great in the zig zag pattern. You are on a roll right now!

Angie said...

It's purple - I love it! Great setting, too!

Chantal said...

Congrats on finishing so many quilts. I love this one, love the layout. ;^)

The Joyful Quilter said...

I really like how this one came together, Cathy. Congrats on a pleasantly purple quilt finish!!

swooze said...

Wonderful!

Elle said...

Oh this purple finish is fabulous fabulous fabulous!!! Purple is my favorite color :-)

Deb said...

You are rocking it ! Sew on !

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love the quilt and all the value changes. Love how the lights sparkle and how the darks make a pronounced zig zag. Nice work!

Janie said...

Beautiful finish! I love what you can do with a Split Ninepatch.
And your Dakota Farmer quilt in your previous post is also a beauty.
Congratulations!

Sherrill said...

Ooo that one is exceptionally pretty!! Someone's gonna love it. Nice use of the lotto blocks!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Purple is my favorite! You have me wanting to did through my scraps and make this quilt.

Thanks(?) for sharing with Oh Scrap!

---"Love" said...

That is one GORGEOUS quilt! ---"Love"

MissPat said...

Ooh, purple, my favorite. I don't remember seeing this one in progress. I have tons of purple. Maybe if I'm successful with WIPs-B Gone, I can start a new quilt.
Pat

mangozz said...

Wow, they just keep getting better and better! I love purple!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

I love how you set the split nine patches! Now I'm itching to make one! Beautiful quilt!

Marianne said...

This quilt looks great - I love the way you arranged the blocks and the way you quilted it.

Pamela Arbour said...

The quilting is perfect. Beautiful quilt. On the last day in September, would you have a mini-quilt show with all of the September ones in one post? Would that be too much trouble?

maggie fellow said...

Its beautiful in purple

Nann said...

Block Lotto lives on! (How many times did you win?)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Love the color combo on this one!!!

thatfabricfeeling.wordpress.com said...

This is just beautiful. Purple fabrics are something that I never seem to have in quantity. I see you're good on purple and what a gorgeous quilt that is!! One thing I really love is the low scattering of low volume and purples throughout both zig zags. It makes for a much more interesting design when the eye gets to wander and take it all in. Thanks so much for sharing.