Saturday, September 18, 2021

Quilts of September #12

September finish #12!
Dakota Farmer
64 x 80

I started making these blocks back in January 2020 as a Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) project.

Each month I made blocks in the RSC color of the month. This was one of the last quilts to come out of the 2.5 inch width scrap bin which is now empty. 

Why is it called Dakota Farmer?
That's what Bonnie Hunter called it in her Addicted to Scraps column in the November/December 2013 issue of Quiltmaker.  Bonnie Hunter used 2 inch (unfinished) HSTs to make her blocks but I used 2.5 inch HSTs because that's what I had on hand. 

I quilted it with swirls in light gray thread. Multicolored Easter Egg fabric is what I used for binding. 

The backing is pieced. 

And on to the next!
(How many will I finish in September????) 



 

19 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

This quilt is beautiful! How long will your 2.5" strip box stay empty? Good luck with that!

Linda said...

Oh dear, you have reached my predicted total of 12!!!! So, let me do the maths..... 12 in 18 days, 12 days to go to the end of the month......let’s say you will finish 20 UFOs?

Cathy said...

I’ve loved your Dakota Farmer blocks from the outset, and this finish proves what a great block it is! Your colors are delightful and even that ol’ Easter egg binding is perfect! Insert all the heart eyes here!!

Marie said...

All those gorgeous stars - love it!

gayle said...

At this point I'm literally gasping for breath! What a wonder you are!
(And I called dibs on 42 in the How Many Quilts Will Cathy Finish pool, right?)

---"Love" said...

Putting all those pretty stars together like that turned out to make a really pretty quilt! Another great job! ---"Love"

Mari said...

Fantastic finish! Looks like you used up a lot of scraps and ended up with a really pretty and interesting quilt. Congratulations!

maggie fellow said...

It really looks great

Jenny said...

I love star quilts and your one looks fabulous!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

This one might be my favorite of all your September quilts, Cathy! It's a great block and, of course, that rainbow of color grabs me every time!

MissPat said...

One could spend endless hours looking at all the fun fabrics in this quilt. It's wonderful.
Pat

Ivani said...

Wonderful quilt Cathy, great use of the 2,5" scraps.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I don't know what it is about this quilt, but I absolutely LOVE it, Cathy!! Congrats on finish number twelve for September.

JCH said...

Wow! It's a stunner! :)

Pamela Arbour said...

You must be feeling soooooooooooo productive this month! Love it as always. Scrap quilts are my favorite.

scraphappy said...

Love the extra blocks on the back. Always such a nice surprise.

mangozz said...

I absolutely love this quilt! It is gorgeous! Will you be able to give this one away? There are a lot of pieces in this one.

Susie H said...

Wow! What a color-palooza!! It's gorgeous and just sings happiness!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

i LOVE Dakota Farmer!!! what a colorful fun quilt!!