Sunday, May 10, 2020

Two Now Stacked, Whacked, Sliced and Topped


Large Hourglass Quilt
63 x 84
 A few years ago I was gifted a package of 11.5 inch squares.  I stacked them and cut on the diagonals and sewed them into Hourglass blocks. And then into a top. 
 And now I have a nice sweet donation quilt top. I think I may have a nice sweet sheet I can use for the back. 
 And now for a top that is not so sweet. 
Critters
42 inch square.

 This was made from a gifted package of 10 inch squares of bugs and other critters. 
Wonky Nine Patches

Stack two contrasting squares face up.
Make two vertical slices.
Swap center piece.
Sew together.
Iron toward darker pieces.
Stack two resulting pieces face up again.
Make two horizontal slices.
Swap center piece.
Sew together. 

This was quick, easy and fun to make.  I think I have the perfect piece of flannel for the backing.

Hey, I might even finish these sooner than later...UFO Prevention!!  



15 comments:

Julierose said...

Great flimsies---I love that hourglass one...so Summery feeling--unlike our weather, right? ~ ~ ~ waving from my recliner julierose

maggie fellow said...

cute tops - I will have to look through my 10 inch squares for fun

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Ooh, UFO prevention! I should try that sometime! Your quilts are sweet (hourglass) and fun (critters). Whoever gets them will be very lucky.

Libby in TN said...

Sometimes mindless sewing is what the doctor ordered. Fun quilts!

Marly said...

I like the wonky 9-patches: nice bright colours and a fun result.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are both sweet and also fun! I enjoyed reading about your methods, and sounds like the blocks went together quickly!

---"Love" said...

That first one is really pretty, and that last on is a little on the wild side, isn't it? But someone will love both of them. ---"Love"

The Joyful Quilter said...

That sweet quilt is SEW sweet, but that critter quilt it cute, too! I've done Wonky 9-Patch quilts, but haven't cut just two fabrics at a time. Mine basically made a new-fangled Crazy Quilt. Will have to try it your way next time! Thanks for sharing.

Linda said...

You are definitely motoring, Cathy! I think the phrase “ Don’t let the grass grow under your feet” was inspired by you!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Two great finishes Cathy! I always forget about this stack, cut and shuffle technique. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

mangozz said...

That Wonky Nine Patches looks like a lot of fun. I always wondered how that effect was achieved. UFO prevention sounds like a good idea.

Vicki in MN said...

What a great way to get a quilt top done fast. And come on we know you will have these finished in no time at all!!

Carol E. said...

Prolific and creative as ever. I love your quilts and the great variety they celebrate!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Beautiful Tops!!

Ann said...

You are so clever to get these two tops out quickly. Someone will love them to pieces. Perfect!